Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2014/02/20 02:23:33 UTC

Public GitHub tree for HBASE-10191 work

I generally prefer to do development in trunk instead of feature branches
but the changes for HBASE-10191 will be a series of tasks executed over a
longish period of time and will probably involve some backtracking.
Therefore, like what we did with snapshots, I'd like to do development in a
GitHub hosted branch to allow collaboration and experimentation with the
added bonus of code review by pull request, although any committer who
requests I'll gladly add as a collaborator to grant push access.

The tree is here: https://github.com/apurtell/hbase/tree/HBASE-10191

Any concerns?

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Public GitHub tree for HBASE-10191 work

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.
After a few painful rebases we switched to doing snapshots from a known
good point and focused our efforts on that branch for a while until we got
the snapshots part stable.  Only after we had online snapshots at a known
good point we started remerging with trunk.  It took a bit of of time
reconciling and hardening against the periodic merges before the merge into
the the trunk branch.  We had reviews on the merges too if I recall -- this
way all the changes could be taken into account, all patches got reviewed,
and each commits was compilable and testable.

Snapshots however was a fairly isolated feature.

Jon.

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// jon@cloudera.com // @jmhsieh

Re: Public GitHub tree for HBASE-10191 work

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.
Sounds good.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good to me.

I would also recommend you take an aggressive stance on rebasing this
branch onto trunk to keep things fresh. You'll need to work out the details
with your collaborators though. It would also be interesting to wire this
up to Travis CI [0].

[0]: http://docs.travis-ci.com/user/languages/java/