Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Chirag Dewan <ch...@yahoo.in.INVALID> on 2022/03/14 07:53:20 UTC

Multi Cluster Failover Kafka Client

Hi,
I am designing a Geo Red Kafka cluster with MirrorMaker. My use case is an active/passive cluster where the follower is kept up-to-date by MirrorMaker.
Now, I want that my consumers and producers should switch to the follower cluster when none of the brokers in the primary cluster are reachable. And when the minimum ISR of the primary cluster is back online, the consumers and producers should switch back to primary.
First, is this the right ambition? By reading closest replica KIP - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-392%3A+Allow+consumers+to+fetch+from+closest+replica, it seems that Geo-Replication is having brokers across many AZs. And clients using client.rack to try and read from the closest broker. If it's not available, clients can always go across AZs.
Is this an ideal Geo Red solution?
Second, If multi Kafka cluster is also an acceptable Geo Red strategy, is there any way I can failover clients from primary to secondary and vice-versa?
Any leads are much appreciated.
ThanksChirag