Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Farr, Aaron" <Aa...@am.sony.com> on 2004/06/15 20:18:08 UTC

More site questions

Hello again.

I know Stephen and Niclas are busy working on the new site, but I still have
some questions/comments:

1. Site update process:  any plan?

2. Download page:  Perhaps we could just have links to the central ASF
download cgi -- http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/avalon/

3. I just committed a change to the style sheet for default hyperlinks.  Let
me know if you hate it. :)

4. Javadocs are missing.  A nice solution would be a central location for
javadocs.  Perhaps a page that links to javadocs of various versions.  I'm
thinking something like:

http://avalon.apache.org/central/javadocs.html  <-- central links to api's

http://avalon.apache.org/api/${package}/${version}

so you would have:

http://avalon.apache.org/api/framework/4.1.5/...
http://avalon.apache.org/api/merlin/3.3/...

Or something like that which allows us to keep old copies of javadocs

5. Legacy docs.  Phoenix docs shouldn't be deleted.  They don't need to be
converted to the new form, but they shouldn't disappear either.  Actually,
what we need is a "legacy" page that explains where things like Fortress,
Phoenix, and Excalibur are for people who come to Avalon looking for them.

6. I'd expect to find links to the general documentation and tutorials under
or linked from Products and not Central.  I imagine there will be other
users feeling the same way.   Perhaps we need something on the very front
page that can help users navigate to the right sections.

I'm sure I'll have some other thoughts too.

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  STP SYSTEMS
  (724) 696-7653

Re: More site questions

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Farr, Aaron wrote:

> 3. I just committed a change to the style sheet for default hyperlinks.  Let
> me know if you hate it. :)

Looks fine (in fact Leo and I were talking about doing this the other
weekend) - one question - can we get rid of the first line indent?

Cheers, Steve.

Re: More site questions

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>>>5. Legacy docs.  Phoenix docs shouldn't be deleted.  They don't need to
>>>be converted to the new form, but they shouldn't disappear either.
>>>Actually, what we need is a "legacy" page that explains where things like
>>>Fortress, Phoenix, and Excalibur are for people who come to Avalon
>>>looking for them.
>

> I have no comments...

I'll put up a legacy page with a zipped archive of the phoneix.

Steve.

Re: More site questions

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Sent this prematurely :D  (GAIM --> Ctrl-Enter = newline, Enter = send. Mail
client the opposite... )

On Wednesday 16 June 2004 03:47, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 June 2004 02:18, Farr, Aaron wrote:
> > 4. Javadocs are missing.  A nice solution would be a central location for
> > javadocs.  Perhaps a page that links to javadocs of various versions.
> > I'm thinking something like:
> >
> > http://avalon.apache.org/central/javadocs.html  <-- central links to
> > api's http://avalon.apache.org/api/${package}/${version}
>
> We have done some thinking, and you have a good point!
>  [suite]/[version]/[api]/ ---> symlink for current [suite]/[api]

<resuming />
Anyway, I leave it to Steve to tweak that right...
[suite] would be only a few, namely (atm);

runtime
studio
planet

> > 5. Legacy docs.  Phoenix docs shouldn't be deleted.  They don't need to
> > be converted to the new form, but they shouldn't disappear either.
> > Actually, what we need is a "legacy" page that explains where things like
> > Fortress, Phoenix, and Excalibur are for people who come to Avalon
> > looking for them.

I have no comments...

> > 6. I'd expect to find links to the general documentation and tutorials
> > under or linked from Products and not Central.  I imagine there will be
> > other users feeling the same way.   Perhaps we need something on the very
> > front page that can help users navigate to the right sections.

I agree on the 'some serious meat' on the front page, without clutter.
I disagree to put tutorials under /products, since many are not as specific as
the various products sections are. And then you will also get the
'splintering' of tutorials all over the place.
One could later add some discrete links on a page by page basis, to an
appropriate tutorial covering the discussed subject. BUT that requires more
man-power than currently available.

Cheers
Niclas
--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

Re: More site questions

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 16 June 2004 02:18, Farr, Aaron wrote:

> 1. Site update process:  any plan?

We are pushing for a site release late this week, as noted in an earlier mail
from Steve.

> 2. Download page:  Perhaps we could just have links to the central ASF
> download cgi -- http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/avalon/

I think I have already created a download.xml that becomes the same as the
previous download.html (with the new look), but haven't tested yet.

> 3. I just committed a change to the style sheet for default hyperlinks.
> Let me know if you hate it. :)

Will check later... :o)

  / http://www.bali.ac        /
 / http://niclas.hedhman.org /