Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Derek Hongar <dk...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/07 04:06:42 UTC

Javadocs generated by maven-javadoc-plugin does not include method parameter names for Eclipse

I'm using Eclipse and I would like to attach a library's javadocs to my
project so that when I implement an interface and choose the option *Add
unimplemented methods* the *methods parameter names* show up correctly
instead of *arg0*, *arg1*, etc.

Problem is:

   -

   When I generate the javadocs through eclipse (Project > Generate
   Javadocs...) and link it to my project *it works*, in other words, I see
   the correct method parameter names.
   -

   When I generate the javadocs through maven-javadoc-plugin and link it to
   my project *it does not work*, in other words, I see *arg0*, *arg1*, etc.

Perhaps I'm not configuring my maven-javadoc-plugin correctly? Below the
configuration from my*pom.xml*:

  <plugin>
    <version>2.8</version>
    <executions>
      <execution>
        <id>attach-javadocs</id>
        <goals>
          <goal>jar</goal>
        </goals>
      </execution>
    </executions>
  </plugin>

Any help will be appreciated. Not seeing the parameter names is very bad.

-Derek

Re: Javadocs generated by maven-javadoc-plugin does not include method parameter names for Eclipse

Posted by Andreas Sewe <se...@st.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
Derek Hongar wrote:
> I'm using Eclipse and I would like to attach a library's javadocs to my
> project so that when I implement an interface and choose the option *Add
> unimplemented methods* the *methods parameter names* show up correctly
> instead of *arg0*, *arg1*, etc.

AFAIK, this has nothing to do with what's in the attached Javadoc, but
whether the interface is known to Eclipse in its source form or in its
bytecode form and, if the latter, whether the bytecode contains the
lcoal-variable debug info.

> Problem is:
>
>    -
>
>    When I generate the javadocs through eclipse (Project > Generate
>    Javadocs...) and link it to my project *it works*, in other words, I see
>    the correct method parameter names.
>    -
>
>    When I generate the javadocs through maven-javadoc-plugin and link it to
>    my project *it does not work*, in other words, I see *arg0*, *arg1*, etc.

To clarify: The *HTML* produced by Eclipse contains the method names,
but the HTML produced by m-javadoc-p does not?

If so, then this may be an issue with the Maven plugin, but the above
behavior during "Add unimplemented methods" is *not* a symptom of this,
but an unrelated issue.

Hope this helps,

Andreas

Re: Javadocs generated by maven-javadoc-plugin does not include method parameter names for Eclipse

Posted by Adrien Rivard <ad...@gmail.com>.
Can't you use directly sources and not javadoc for that ?

With Maven and Eclipse ,this is a better option than javadoc IMO.

For your problem, are the javadoc generated in both case the same ?
Are you sure the javadoc is correctly linked in Eclipse with maven?

--
Adrien Rivard