Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca> on 2022/02/02 01:11:52 UTC

[VOTE] Spark 3.1.3 RC3

Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version
3.1.3.

The vote is open until Feb. 4th at 5 PM PST (1 AM UTC + 1 day) and passes
if a majority
+1 PMC votes are cast, with a minimum of 3 + 1 votes.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/

There are currently no open issues targeting 3.1.3 in Spark's JIRA
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse
(try project = SPARK AND "Target Version/s" = "3.1.3" AND status in (Open,
Reopened, "In Progress"))
at https://s.apache.org/n79dw

The tag to be voted on is v3.2.1-rc1 (commit
b8c0799a8cef22c56132d94033759c9f82b0cc86):
https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v3.1.3-rc3

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v3.1.3-rc3-bin/

Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

The staging repository for this release can be found at
:https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1400/

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v3.1.3-rc3-docs/

The list of bug fixes going into 3.1.3 can be found at the following URL:
https://s.apache.org/x0q9b

This release is using the release script in master as
of ddc77fb906cb3ce1567d277c2d0850104c89ac25
The release docker container was rebuilt since the previous version didn't
have the necessary components to build the R documentation.

=========================
How can I help test this release?
=========================

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
you don't end up building with an out of date RC going forward).

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 3.1.3?

The current list of open tickets targeted at 3.2.1 can be found at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target
Version/s" = 3.1.3

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
appropriate release.

==================
But my bug isn't fixed?
==================

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
release. That being said, if there is something that is a regression
that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
help target the issue.

==================
What happened to RC1 & RC2?
==================

When I first went to build RC1 the build process failed due to the
lack of the R markdown package in my local rm container. By the time
I had time to debug and rebuild there was already another bug fix commit in
branch-3.1 so I decided to skip ahead to RC2 and pick it up directly.
When I went to go send the RC2 vote e-mail I noticed a correctness issue had
been fixed in branch-3.1 so I rolled RC3 to contain the correctness fix.

Books (Learning Spark, High Performance Spark, etc.):
https://amzn.to/2MaRAG9  <https://amzn.to/2MaRAG9>
YouTube Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/user/holdenkarau

Re: [VOTE] Spark 3.1.3 RC3

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me, same result as the last release on my end.
I think releasing 3.1.3 is fine, it's 7 months since 3.1.2.

Re: [VOTE] Spark 3.1.3 RC3

Posted by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca>.
Yup, I’ve run into some weirdness with docs again I want to verify before I
send the vote email though.

Re: [VOTE] Spark 3.1.3 RC3

Posted by Wenchen Fan <cl...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Spark 3.1.3 RC3