Posted to users@flex.apache.org by tristan <tg...@proginov.com> on 2014/09/22 11:14:21 UTC

Working with softKeyBoard is not compatible with all platform targeting by air

Hi,

I want to explain you my multiple problems with keyboards on Apache Flex
13.0 & AIR 14.0 version.

We make an AIR application  with apache Flex, we are targeting Android, iOS
and Windows (not RT but windows PRO with touch-screen).

There are multiple cases:
1) softKeyBoard does not resize the view if you are using "direct" render
mode on both iOS and android with 'Pan' mode(depends of the skin used):
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-34517
=> we would like to use "direct" mode for performance

2) SoftKeyBoard does not appears on Windows 8 PRO and Windows 8.1 PRO
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-34542 )
=> Today, we have to launch manually the file 'tapTip.exe' on Windows only
to show a keyBoard, but this is not native, not clear, and the screen is not
resizing

3) Cursor is not showed on iOS when not showing the native keyBoard
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33679)
=> It is impossible for the user to select something on the textInput in
this case

4) Events are not fired correctly on TextInput on iOS
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-34178)
=> we can't migrate with stageTextInputSkin and choose the mode to show it
(numeric, phone ...)

5) preventDefault() is not working on iOS and Android, the keayboard appears
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-34179)
=> same that for the 4)

I know all these bugs are mine, but I'm surprised that nobody else
encountered the same problems. We want to use Flex for our project, and
Direct mode for performance, but when you read all above, you realize that
it's difficult tu use correctly spark TextInput on multiple platforms

Re: Working with softKeyBoard is not compatible with all platform targeting by air

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
One community member did a bunch of work on softKeyboard recently.  Maybe
he'll find time to look.  And, of course, you are welcome to get the
source code and propose fixes yourself.  We're always looking for new
contributors.

-Alex

Posted by tristan <tg...@proginov.com>.

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tristan,

I have voted for your issues in adobe bugbase. Maybe it will get some
attention.

Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: Working with softKeyBoard is not compatible with all platform targeting by air

Posted by tristan <tg...@proginov.com>.
Hi,
Thank you for your answer, after some tests with a pure AS3 project (this
project
http://blogs.adobe.com/cantrell/archives/2011/09/native-text-input-with-stagetext.html),
results:

1) The application is resizing when focusing the StageTextInput (NativeText
in the project)
So I think the bug is on Flex

2) SoftKeyBoard is not opening like in Flex, AIR bug =>
https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=selectBug&CFGRIDKEY=3830312

3) Strange comportment with pureAS3 project, because of the bug (5)=> AIR
OR/AND flex bug, possible to have a workAround in flex ?

4) Events are dispatched correctly with the pure AS3 project, I think this
is a Flex bug

5) preventDefault is working on iOS only, not with android => AIR bug
https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=selectBug&CFGRIDKEY=3830308
This is funny because on Flex with a non stageSkin, preventDefault() is
working

So, there are AIR bugs, and Flex bugs also I think.

Re: Working with softKeyBoard is not compatible with all platform targeting by air

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

I'm definitely not an expert on the softKeyboard, but my understanding is
that a lot of limitations result from the Adobe AIR runtime and not the
Flex code itself.  Have you tried AS-only projects to see if they work
better or worse?