Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Sundeep Kambhampati <ka...@cse.ohio-state.edu> on 2013/01/26 16:49:13 UTC

Difference between HDFS and local filesystem

Hi Users,
I am kind of new to MapReduce programming I am trying to understand the
integration between MapReduce and HDFS.
I could understand MapReduce can use HDFS for data access. But is
possible not to use HDFS at all and run MapReduce programs?
HDFS does file replication and partitioning. But if I use the following
command to run the Example MaxTemperature

  bin/hadoop jar /usr/local/hadoop/maxtemp.jar MaxTemperature
file:///usr/local/ncdcinput/sample.txt file:///usr/local/out4

instead of

  bin/hadoop jar /usr/local/hadoop/maxtemp.jar MaxTemperature
usr/local/ncdcinput/sample.txt usr/local/out4     ->> this will use hdfs
file system.

it uses local file system files and writing to local file system when I
run in pseudo distributed mode. Since it is single node there is no
problem of non local data.
What happens in a fully distributed mode. Will the files be copied to
other machines or will it throw errors? will the files be replicated and
will they be partitioned for running MapReduce if i use Localfile system?

Can someone please explain.

Regards
Sundeep

Re: Difference between HDFS and local filesystem

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
The local filesystem has no sense of being 'distributed'. If you run a
distributed mode of Hadoop over file:// (Local FS), then unless the
file:// points being used itself is distributed (such as an NFS), then
your jobs will fail their tasks on all the nodes the referenced files
cannot be found on.

Essentially, for a distributed operation, MR relies on a distributed
file system and local filesystem is opposite of that.

--
Harsh J

Re: Difference between HDFS and local filesystem

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Difference between HDFS and local filesystem

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
Hello Sundeep,

      As Harsh has said it doesn't make much sense to use MR with the
native FS. If you really want to leverage the power of Hadoop, you should
use MR+HDFS combo, as "Divide and Rule"  is Hadoop's strength. It's a
distributed system where each component gets its own piece of work to do in
parallel with other components, unlike the grid computing paradigm where
several machines work on the same piece together by sharing resources like
memory and so forth.

Warm Regards,
Tariq
https://mtariq.jux.com/
cloudfront.blogspot.com

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
Hello Sundeep,

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
Hello Sundeep,

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
Hello Sundeep,

Posted by Preethi Vinayak Ponangi <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Preethi Vinayak Ponangi <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Preethi Vinayak Ponangi <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Preethi Vinayak Ponangi <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Difference between HDFS and local filesystem

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J