Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Paul Stanton <pa...@mapshed.com.au> on 2010/11/06 07:46:00 UTC

how do you gracefully shutdown run-jetty-run ?

i've just started using the run-jetty-run plugin for eclipse.

since you start it via the eclipse 'run' configuration, i don't know how
to issue a shutdown command to the process so that it can do so
gracefully, instead of simply terminating the process.

this means that shutdown hooks etc are never called, and therefore is a
bad thing.

can this be done?

Re: how do you gracefully shutdown run-jetty-run ?

Posted by tony wang <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi ,
I am one of the maintainer in Run-Jetty-Run ,
according to this issue , we will provide some command in next nightly
build.

If you need more information you could reference to this thread below ,
thanks.

http://code.google.com/p/run-jetty-run/issues/detail?id=64

Re: how do you gracefully shutdown run-jetty-run ?

Posted by Paul Stanton <pa...@mapshed.com.au>.
Hi Thiago,

Yes I did. It would be great if someone could extend the plugin however.

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor

Re: how do you gracefully shutdown run-jetty-run ?

Posted by Paul Stanton <pa...@mapshed.com.au>.
LLTYK,

I have tried this before and couldn't get it to work with run-jetty-run.

Have you used this with run-jetty-run?

Possibly I have the parameters incorrect or don't understand how to map
them to vm/program arguments.

FOR MY START RUN CONFIGURATION:
+ VM Args: -DSTOP.PORT=8888 -DSTOP.KEY=stop
+ Program Args: none

FOR MY STOP RUN CONFIGURATION:
+ VM Args: -DSTOP.PORT=8888 -DSTOP.KEY=stop
+ Program Args: --stop

Does this look right?

Posted by LLTYK <LL...@mailinator.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Check out my blog:

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Paul Stanton <pa...@mapshed.com.au> wrote:

> Howard, I saw that you were also interested in this issue.. did you find
> anything?
>
> http://code.google.com/p/run-jetty-run/wiki/FutureDirectionsDiscussion
>
> This is a major problem for me since I use HsqlDb for one of my projects
> and 'shutdown' is fairly vital.
>
> I'm considering returning to Tomcat+broken dynamic class reloading...
>
> Regards, Paul.
>

> On 7/11/2010 9:33 AM, Paul Stanton wrote:
>
>> clearly the question is regarding the "run-jetty-run" plugin for eclipse.
>>
>> anyone?
>>
>> On 6/11/2010 9:15 PM, Christian Riedel wrote:
>>
>>> Interesting question. If you use some unix-based system you can easily
>>> kill the process from the command line.
>>>
>>> $ jps
>>> 29741 Launcher
>>>
>>> $ kill 29741
>>>
>>> Shutdown hook complete :)
>>>

>>> Am 06.11.2010 um 07:46 schrieb Paul Stanton:
>>>
>>>  i've just started using the run-jetty-run plugin for eclipse.

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

The source for Tapestry training, mentoring and support. Contact me to learn
how I can get you up and productive in Tapestry fast!

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: how do you gracefully shutdown run-jetty-run ?

Posted by Paul Stanton <pa...@mapshed.com.au>.

Posted by Paul Stanton <pa...@mapshed.com.au>.

Posted by Christian Riedel <cr...@googlemail.com>.