Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> on 2015/02/06 19:48:45 UTC

[RFC] Remove pointless 'message' arg from svntest.actions.run_and_verify_*

I have been wanting for a long time to simplify run_and_verify_*() calls a little by removing the 'message' argument, as per the log message below.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Or is anybody fond of this 'message' argument, or concerned about code churn in the test suite (making backports a tiny bit harder, for example), enough to outweigh the simplicity gain?

[[[
Remove the 'message' argument from the test suite's run_and_verify_*()
functions, because it is largely pointless. Enough context information
is available by other means, and it wasn't being displayed for stdout
mismatch which is the most common failure mode but only for exit-code
mismatch, and most callers pass 'None' anyway, so it just clutters the
call sites.

* subversion/tests/cmdline/svntest/actions.py
  (run_and_verify_atomic_ra_revprop_change,
   run_and_verify_svn, run_and_verify_svn2,
   run_and_verify_svnlook, run_and_verify_svnlook2,
   run_and_verify_svnadmin, run_and_verify_svnadmin2,
   run_and_verify_svnversion, run_and_verify_svnversion2,
   run_and_verify_svnmucc, run_and_verify_svnmucc2,
   run_and_verify_atomic_ra_revprop_change,
   run_and_verify_svnauthz,
   run_and_verify_log_xml,
   ): Remove 'message' parameter.
  (guarantee_greek_repository,
   run_and_verify_dump): Adjust calls.

* subversion/tests/cmdline/svntest/objects.py
  (SvnRepository.dump): Adjust calls.

* subversion/tests/cmdline/svntest/sandbox.py
  (make_mirror,
   Sandbox.youngest): Adjust calls.

* subversion/tests/cmdline/*_tests.py
  Adjust calls.
]]]

(I'm not attaching the patch itself, as it is large and boring.)

- Julian

Re: [RFC] Remove pointless 'message' arg from svntest.actions.run_and_verify_*

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Bert Huijben wrote:
> Philip Martin wrote:
>>  Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> writes:
>>> I have been wanting for a long time to simplify run_and_verify_*()
>>> calls a little by removing the 'message' argument, as per the log
>>> message below.
>>
>>  +1
> +1

Thanks. r1658410.

Posted by Bert Huijben <be...@qqmail.nl>.

+1

	Bert

Re: [RFC] Remove pointless 'message' arg from svntest.actions.run_and_verify_*

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com>.
Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> writes:

> I have been wanting for a long time to simplify run_and_verify_*()
> calls a little by removing the 'message' argument, as per the log
> message below.

+1

--
Philip Martin | Subversion Committer