Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us> on 1996/10/28 05:18:15 UTC

Long-lived software?

I was just reading through Roy's new util_date stuff, and I have a
question: what if someone decides to use Apache through the
twenty-second century? I mean, sure, 114 years is a long time, but
that's what they said about the year 2000 twenty years ago, and now
some people say that the year 2000 problem is going to bankrupt half
of all Fortune 1000 companies. (I'm exaggerating here)

My point is, the code, as stands, will be a full day off as of March
1, 2100, since it does not accurately take into account that this is
not leap year. It even says this in the comments (twice). Do we really
want to be this short-sighted?

Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>      The Apache HTTP Server