Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Donald Woods <dr...@yahoo.com> on 2007/03/20 17:33:20 UTC

Differences between jetty6-jee5 and tomcat6-jee5 config.xml files?

Just noticed 2 differences between the current jetty6-jee5 and
tomcat6-jee5 config.xml files and wondered if this was intended?

1) jetty6-jee5 has load=false for the axis car, while tomcat6-jee5 doesn't

2) jetty6-jee5 include the dojo-jetty6 car, but tomcat6-jee5 doesn't
include the dojo-tomcat car

If not, I'll open a JIRA and attach the patch to correct this.

-Donald

Re: Differences between jetty6-jee5 and tomcat6-jee5 config.xml files?

Posted by Donald Woods <dr...@yahoo.com>.
No, I only got as far as adding the dependencies and car into the
config.xml and got side tracked on other build problems, so go ahead
with your changes.

-Donald

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dr...@yahoo.com>.

Paul McMahan wrote:
> On 3/20/07, Donald Woods <dr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> But if we add it to the tomcat6-jee5 config.xml, wouldn't that allow a
>> user to set load=false on it if they also disabled the webconsole?
>
> Currently if a user disables webconsole in the tomcat assembly then
> the dojo module will no longer start automatically unless some other
> application (like daytrader) has also specified a dependency against
> it.  So as it stands right now, the dojo module's startup behavior is
> dependent on some application actually requiring the static resources
> that it serves up.  I think that is desirable behavior since the dojo
> module really serves no purpose other than to provide a shared copy of
> the dojo library to webapps in a server or in a cluster.

Sounds like a good line of reasoning to me.

> If the dojo module was explicitly added to config.xml then users might
> enable it when its not needed (how would they know?) or disable it
> when it is needed.   Actually I'm not sure what happens if you
> explicitly disable a module in config.xml that another module depends
> on.. would the dependent module fail to start?

After building with the dojo-tomcat car in config.xml, I added
load=false and it was still loaded and config.xml was updated after
startup with the load=false removed due to the webconsole....

>> Also, shouldn't we list all installed configurations by default, so
>> users can better understand which ones are being provided by the
>> assembly, like users deploying Daytrader or other end user apps that
>> want to use our provided Dojo files?
>
> I think that could be useful as long as maven could automate the
> creation of that file and its still easy to customize and find the
> important bits in it.  We could also just point the user towards the
> list-modules CLI and the modules portlet for gathering that type of
> information.  I think I would prefer those over config.xml but all
> users are different.

Yep, was just a thought.  I'll pass on trying to create more Maven or
Groovy Mojo to handle this.... :-)

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dr...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.