Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2002/08/26 14:38:30 UTC

FW: log4j fired, Avalon logKit hired

I thought you guys would like to know....

Re: FW: log4j fired, Avalon logKit hired

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Paul Hammant wrote:
> Nicola,
>
>>> And it is great.  Are you going to take back your words-in-my-mouth
>>> "Phoenix == Avalon RI" jibe?
>>

>> Are you going to take away the "Phoenix BlockContext == de-facto
>> standard"?
>> No, because in a sense both of us are right.
>

> No.  I did not claim Avalon RI was Phoenix.  You said I did.

Ok, I misunderstood your question.

I mean this:

You never claimed that Avalon RI was Phoenix.
I did.

I never said that Phoenix BlockContext == de-facto standard".
You did.

Happy?
Has this gotten us some progress?

Gee, I get more done in the discussion with Peter than with you, loosen
up, man!

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: FW: log4j fired, Avalon logKit hired

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Nicola,

>> And it is great.  Are you going to take back your words-in-my-mouth
>> "Phoenix == Avalon RI" jibe?
>

> Are you going to take away the "Phoenix BlockContext == de-facto
> standard"?
> No, because in a sense both of us are right.

No.  I did not claim Avalon RI was Phoenix.  You said I did.

-ph

Re: FW: log4j fired, Avalon logKit hired

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Paul Hammant wrote:
> Nicola,
>
>>> Kewl.  I find A-F's lifecycle is the easiest thing to market in work
>>> and out of all of the Avalon projects aspects.
>>

>> I agree.
>> That's why we wrote Tweety, that explains basically lifecycle in a
>> simple way.
>

> And it is great.  Are you going to take back your words-in-my-mouth
> "Phoenix == Avalon RI" jibe?

Are you going to take away the "Phoenix BlockContext == de-facto standard"?
No, because in a sense both of us are right.

Phoenix in a sense has already been seen and used as a RI of Avalon,
from a server perspective.
I have no problem in saying it, it's true, and you implied it too.

Now, because of the *user* need of Component interoperability between
Containers, we must define the contracts better, and make any Component
workable in any container.

  ----

This is the scenario I have in mind:

Let's say I want to use a ComponentA written for ContainerA in ContainerB.

   ContainerA ---(hosts)---(  ComponentA  )

   ContainerB- ?

We have a common descriptor format, so ContainerB can look in the
descriptor and see if it's capable of running it.

If it can, great, Bob's your uncle :-D

   ContainerB ---(hosts)---(  ComponentA  )

This must not only define the lifecycle needed, but also which Context,
which keys in the Context, etc are needed, which Merlin does IIUC.

If not, I can see if the Component declares an extension can solve the
issue. If it does, Bob's your uncle again, and it can get the extension
handler and use that.

   ContainerB ---(hosts)---(  ComponentA  )
                \
                 \
                  --<  ExtensionA  >

This is done by Merlin/Fortress, and is not mandatory.

Finally, it can happen that something needed is not really doable by
ContainerB.

It should be able to automatically get ContainerA, and ask him to be
given a handle to ContainerA.

We'll have:

   ContainerB ---(hosts)---(  ContainerA  ---(hosts)---(  ComponentA  ) )

This info is needed in the descriptor, or in some registry, so that the
Container can delegate things to a Container that acts as a Component
that manages our ComponentA.

How can it be specified?

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Nicola,

>> Kewl.  I find A-F's lifecycle is the easiest thing to market in work
>> and out of all of the Avalon projects aspects.
>

> I agree.
> That's why we wrote Tweety, that explains basically lifecycle in a
> simple way.

And it is great.  Are you going to take back your words-in-my-mouth
"Phoenix == Avalon RI" jibe?

- Paul

Re: FW: log4j fired, Avalon logKit hired

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Berin,

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.