Posted to users@maven.apache.org by crowne <ne...@rmb.co.za> on 2007/05/02 12:33:12 UTC

legacy layout imposed onto local mirror with default layout.

Hi All,

I have an interesting problem.
We are using proximity and have set up internal mirrors of multiple
repositories.
Each internal mirror uses the default maven2 layout.

The project that I am building uses xfire and has a dependancy on
xfire-java5-1.2.5
This artifact is downloaded successfully from the internal mirror, but
declares additional dependencies of its own
including xfire-annotations-1.2.5, which is discovered through a the common
parent xfire-parent-1.2.5
The common parent lists a number of repositories including the one below:
    <repository>
      <id>codehaus</id>
      <name>Codehaus maven repository</name>
      <url>http://dist.codehaus.org/</url>
      <layout>legacy</layout>
    </repository>

In my settings.xml, I have a mirror declared for codehaus which uses the
default maven2 layout and is a proxy of  	http://repository.codehaus.org/.

The setting above seems to override my declaration, and causes invalid URL's
such as below:
Downloading:
http://proximityServer:8080/px-webapp-default-1.0.0-RC8/repository/codehaus/org.codehaus.xfire/jars/xfire-annotations-1.2.5.jar
[WARNING] Unable to get resource from repository codehaus
(http://dist.codehaus.org/)
Downloading:
http://people.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository//org/codehaus/xfire/xfire-annotations/1.2.5/xfire-annotations-1.2.5.jar

To work around the problem I have added the failed download dependencies to
the pom of the project that I am building, which causes the artifacts to be
downloaded from the correct local mirror location i.e.
Downloading:
http://proximityServer:8080/px-webapp-default-1.0.0-RC8/repository/central/org/codehaus/xfire/xfire-annoations/1.2.5/xfire-annotations-1.2.5.jar

What can be done to prevent this type of issue in future?
Are there rules of precedence regarding repository definitions?
How are duplicate ID's with different URLs handled?

Regards,
Neil Crow.