Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Marko Novakovic <at...@yahoo.com> on 2008/04/01 11:46:18 UTC

GSOC

How many students will it be prometed by GSOC for this project and how many did they apply for?

  Greetings

---------------------------------

Re: GSOC

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
It's hard to say.  None of us have done GSOC before, but as I
understand it the ASF gets X number of projects and then we rank them
all internally within the ASF, so you are not just competing within
Mahout, but to some extent with other projects, which is why I have
stressed that applicants try to make their proposals as strong as
possible.  This means well-written, references, etc.   I'm guessing,
since we have 4 willing mentors, we will try to lobby for 4 students,
but I don't know how it will all play out.  I haven't looked at other
project applications yet, but I have been impressed w/ several in the
Mahout space (but obviously I am biased)

That being said, my understanding is that they do try to get at least
one for each project and I would hope for two, but I am only guessing
at this point.

-Grant