Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by 甯尤刚 <ni...@navercorp.com> on 2020/01/07 03:29:35 UTC

Config runtime

Hello Everyone:
​
I submited a WIP patch: https://github.com/apache/openwhisk/pull/4790 here
​
Sometimes, admin may want to reinitalize the runtime config, e.g. nodejs:10 prewarm container number is less, lead to cold start, in order to handle user's request as soon as possible,
admin may want to reinitalize the runtime configuration to increase the nodejs:10 prewarm containers.
And admin may want to reinitalize the runtime config on some limited invokers
​
Currently, just finish its basic functions and worked well in my local, but didn't add test cases then.
If the direction of this patch is ok, i will finish its corresponding test cases
​
Best Regards,
ning.yougang
​
​

Re: Config runtime

Posted by Tyson Norris <tn...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi -
I would rather see this as an automated + configurable feature, rather than an API that is manually invoked with a user making (possibly bad) decisions.
I created an issue to describe this here https://github.com/apache/openwhisk/issues/4725

Part of the reason for automating this, is that in addition to having a deficit of prewarms, we also experience problems related to having a surplus of prewarms, and in case of blackbox dedicated invokers, this can be a problem where those prewarms are never used, and just waste resources. If there was an automated way to scale down the unused prewarms, this resource usage would be temporary.

Thanks
Tyson

On 1/6/20, 7:29 PM, "甯尤刚" <ni...@navercorp.com> wrote:

    Hello Everyone:
    ​
    I submited a WIP patch: https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fopenwhisk%2Fpull%2F4790&amp;data=02%7C01%7Ctnorris%40adobe.com%7Cea533f3198ec4ae74afb08d79321db99%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C1%7C637139645952054275&amp;sdata=X1FxwSYDXGIMBz8oltz0uUHz9mEXPSabek9sALTnloc%3D&amp;reserved=0 here
    ​