Posted to marketing@cloudstack.apache.org by "Bradshaw, Debbie (Debbie)" <de...@alcatel-lucent.com> on 2013/07/24 18:39:26 UTC

Permission to use the Apache Cloud Stack Logo on CloudBand Ecosystem Progra

We use CloudStack APIs in our CloudBand Product. We recently launched a new NFV ecosystem community at http://ecosystem.cloud-band.com we would like your permission to use the Apache CloudStack Logo, in our platform partners section on the home page?

Thank you,
Debbie

Debbie Bradshaw
Networks & Platforms Marketing
CloudBand Business Unit
M: 949.412.7766
debbie.bradshaw@alcatel-lucent.com

Re: Permission to use the Apache Cloud Stack Logo on CloudBand Ecosystem Progra

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 01:12:08PM -0400, David Nalley wrote:
> Hi Debbie:
>
> Thanks for sending the email.
>
> I am adding trademarks@apache.org to the conversation.

I think this only went to marketing@.

Fixing now.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
Hi Debbie:

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
If they are referencing their use of / integration with Apache
CloudStack, there really shouldn't be a problem with this at all.

-chip

Posted by Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com>.
Matt
(All IMO)

I see where you're coming from, but I disagree. I think we should be welcoming vendors who are doing ANY form of integration with Cloudstack and doing what we can to support them in telling the world that theyre using Cloudstack

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.
Debbie,

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Thanks Chip for the excellent summary.  The Apache Software Foundation
(ASF) and it's projects like the Apache CloudStack project are always
happy when third parties wish to make note of the various Apache
software products that you use in your solutions.  However we need to
ensure that Apache brands are respected in the ways that Chip outlined
below.

 From a brief look at your website, I would imagine that use of the
Apache Cloudstack logo or name as a mention of the software you use or
integrate with would be appropriate, much like I see your statement in
your CloudBand product page that goes: "...in addition, Alcatel-Lucent
utilizes Apache CloudStack® in the CloudBand Management System, and
supports the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud™ (EC2)."

However as Chip notes, listing Apache CloudStack as a "partner" or
"Vendor" working with your project is not appropriate.

For some background information, I suggest also reading the below in
conjunction with the links Chip provided, which provides some important
rationale for Apache branding.  We are happy to have people talk about
Apache software products, however we need to ensure that end users and
the general public understand Apache projects themselves are built
independently from vendors:

   http://community.apache.org/projectIndependence.html

- Shane Curcuru
   VP, Brand Management