Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by "Chen, Ciyong" <ci...@intel.com> on 2020/08/30 08:54:18 UTC

Update for the 1.7.0 release

Hi Community,

As the vote on general@ was passed, I'm now working on the final release process according to the section 3 of the release process[1].
Before sending out the announcement email for review, here's some updates with a few questions and need your help:

Status
1) 3.1.1/3.1.2 were completed with the help of Tao, and 3.1.5 is also checked.
2) 3.2/3.3 were updated by the PR#19047<https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/19047>.

Questions
1) 3.1.3/3.1.4 are targeting nightly pip build and docker images, may I have your comments for the current status, Sheng/Meghna?
2) 3.2 for updating the website is out of date, may I have your comments if the PR#19047 is sufficient for the website update or not?
3) If this release has to go out on a blog on blogs.apache.org?

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Release+Process

Regards
Ciyong Chen

RE: Update for the 1.7.0 release

Posted by "Chen, Ciyong" <ci...@intel.com>.
Thank you Macro to point it out.

I tried to update the PR for the current and old releases to the server as option 2, however, it's not worked for version 0.11.0 to 1.2.1 (showing " The requested URL was not found on this server.").
So I only updated the download link from 1.3.0 to 1.7.0, and kept the others unchanged.

Regards,
Ciyong

I've noticed here [1] that we're referencing to downloads.apache.org. The documentation on that site although states that we should not directly link it. I've seen other projects do the following things:

1. Have a dynamic server-side script which automatically inserts a mirror:
https://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi
2. Link to a "load-balancer" script: https://camel.apache.org/download/

I think we should use option 2 as we did previously and make sure that we're compliant there to reduce the load and costs for Apache Infra. Also, we need to set the old releases to point to the archive server.

Best regards
Marco

[1]:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/19047/files#diff-2a772b7802788718160145af4b0944a4R38