Posted to dev@hivemind.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/06 03:54:11 UTC

[DICUSS] Move from Jakarta to Tapestry PMC?

Looks likely that Tapestry will go TLP in the very near future.

Does HiveMind belong as a sub-project of Tapestry, rather than Jakarta?

I'm not sure of the specific advantages or disadvantages to HiveMind.
I don't see the PMC either aiding or restricting HiveMind at this
time, and its possible HiveMind could go for TLP status as well.

Discussion?

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry

Re: [DICUSS] Move from Jakarta to Tapestry PMC?

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

Re: [DICUSS] Move from Jakarta to Tapestry PMC?

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

Re: [DICUSS] Move from Jakarta to Tapestry PMC?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 3/18/06, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd be in favor of HiveMind as a TLP.
>
> With the move to Maven 2 builds (I'm working on that for HiveMind
> right now), the hierarchical structure matters less. Maven makes
> everything flat.
>
> The advantage of TLP is:
> - Ability to apply coding and community standards across related
> HiveMind projects
> - Ability to scope individual developers to individual HiveMind sub projects

Better communication between the developers and the foundation.

*looks to James to kick off a vote*

Hen

Re: [DICUSS] Move from Jakarta to Tapestry PMC?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I'd be in favor of HiveMind as a TLP.

With the move to Maven 2 builds (I'm working on that for HiveMind
right now), the hierarchical structure matters less. Maven makes
everything flat.

The advantage of TLP is:
- Ability to apply coding and community standards across related
HiveMind projects
- Ability to scope individual developers to individual HiveMind sub projects

Am I missing anything?

Moving HiveMind under Tapestry; really, moving HiveMind's sub-projects
under Tapestry as Tapestry sub-projects, would only have simplified
the buerocratic hassle. I think if we have a seperate chair for
HiveMind, and not the same person (ye gods!) then there's no reason to
move under Tapestry.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
You have my +1 as a chair too.

Posted by Achim Hügen <ac...@gmx.de>.
My daughter is 5 weeks old now and I can tell you for sure that
it doesn't get any better ;-)

Achim

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

RE: [DICUSS] Move from Jakarta to Tapestry PMC?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

  _____

Posted by Harish Krishnaswamy <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
One of the reasons I describe HiveMind as a "healthier" community (*)
is the way people from outside Apache, even outside Open Source, have
migrated in.

(*) Not that Tapestry is unhealthy.

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On 3/16/06, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:

> If I were more versed in the ways of ASF, I would volunteer, but I'm
> somewhat of a newbie.  I don't know who else is interested, but if nobody
> else is, I will do it (if that's what it takes).  HiveMind deserves to be
> its own project and not a Tapestry sub-project.

If that is the case, it would be a +1 by me.

--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: [DICUSS] Move from Jakarta to Tapestry PMC?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
If I were more versed in the ways of ASF, I would volunteer, but I'm
somewhat of a newbie.  I don't know who else is interested, but if nobody
else is, I will do it (if that's what it takes).  HiveMind deserves to be
its own project and not a Tapestry sub-project.

> I think it is desirable to move out of Jakarta.
>
> However, we would need to identify someone to be the HiveMind chair.
> I got "suckered" into that for the Tapestry TLP.  I'm simply stating
> the fact that I don't want the job (I have too many already). So we
> would need to identify someone how wants/is capable of being the chair
> for HiveMind as a prerequisite for even discussing a HiveMind TLP.
>
> It some ways, it would be easier to move HiveMind under the Tapestry
> TLP.  It's not by pure chance that "all Tapestry's most rocking
> features derive from HiveMind".
>
> On 3/15/06, Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 3/14/06, Achim Hügen <ac...@gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> > I don't regard hivemind as a tapestry subproject.
>> > It's usable standalone and not targeted at tapestry and web
>> applications
>> > only.
>>
>> That's fair.
>> Having HiveMind as a TLP means more bureaucratic works so i guess the
>> deal is if anyone would like to handle that, so my choice (at least as
>> a first step) would be to be a Tapestry subproject rather then Jakarta
>> ones.
>>
>> Indeed HiveMind live very well as a standalone framework, it's simply
>> great, i think the most Tapestry's rocking features derive from having
>> HiveMind inside.
>>
>> As always my 2 cents
>> --
>> Massimo
>> http://meridio.blogspot.com

> Howard M. Lewis Ship
> Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
> Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

James Carman, President
Carman Consulting, Inc.

Re: [DICUSS] Move from Jakarta to Tapestry PMC?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Achim Hügen <ac...@gmx.de>.
I don't regard hivemind as a tapestry subproject.
It's usable standalone and not targeted at tapestry and web applications
only.

+1 for hivemind.apache.org

Achim Huegen

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.