Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> on 2002/08/18 01:30:41 UTC

[collections] XxxUtils constructors

Do we need to have a revote and a result on this before the release?

If so, I think we would have to use a form of voting that is more likely to
get a result rather than a hung result.

I think that Single Transferable Vote is the most appropriate (rank the
options 1-5 and transfer the votes of the least popular according to second
prefs etc.) But this isn't in the jakarta rules, so would it be accepted.

An alternative would be a simple statement:
Change standard to protected  +1/+0/-0/-1
This gives a very restricted choice of course.

Stephen

Re: [collections] XxxUtils constructors

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@mac.com>.
On Sunday, August 18, 2002, at 12:30 AM, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> Do we need to have a revote and a result on this before the release?
>
> If so, I think we would have to use a form of voting that is more likely
> get a result rather than a hung result.
>
> I think that Single Transferable Vote is the most appropriate (rank the
> options 1-5 and transfer the votes of the least popular according to
> second
> prefs etc.) But this isn't in the jakarta rules, so would it be accepted.

AFAIK...

it is acceptable for a POLL rather than a VOTE. one way to do things would
be to run a POLL under those voting rules and then a plain accept/reject
VOTE for the most popular proposal. when there are numerous possibilities,
  it makes sense to VOTE on the proposal most likely to carry a majority
(first). you'll probably find that on a blocking issue like this that some
people will not be willing to block progress even though they aren't in
favour of the proposal.

- robert