Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Christian Schulte <sc...@apache.org> on 2016/05/06 23:51:24 UTC

Minimum JDK requirement.

Hello,

I know this has been discussed before. I do not find relevant thread(s).
What was/is still the reason for keeping things targetted at Java 6?
Whenever I stumble upon something with '-target <1.7', can I just set it
to '-target 1.7'? I would like to use Java 7 features as soon as
possible. There is a real need to start using the try-with-resources
statement everywhere as soon as possible, for example.

Christian

Re: Minimum JDK requirement.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

see here:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-dev/201503.mbox/%3C20150320213920.6AE4B17423%40minotaur.apache.org%3E

In contradiction to the mail we have decided to define the minimum Maven
version 3.0 ...

Based on the minimum we have decided (3.0) this means JDK 6 minimum...

http://maven.apache.org/docs/history.html

If we have lifted all plugins / shared components we goto the next
level...and set JDK 7 as minimum and define Maven 3.X which might be
3.2.X as minimum which would be the next logical step but it might be
3.3.X ...

You know this site:
https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/dist-tool-plugin/site/dist-tool-prerequisites.html

And of course we have exceptions of this (for example
maven-checktyle-plugin)...

Re: Minimum JDK requirement.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 4:51 PM, Christian Schulte <sc...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I know this has been discussed before. I do not find relevant thread(s).
> What was/is still the reason for keeping things targetted at Java 6?
> Whenever I stumble upon something with '-target <1.7', can I just set it
> to '-target 1.7'? I would like to use Java 7 features as soon as
> possible. There is a real need to start using the try-with-resources
> statement everywhere as soon as possible, for example.

+1

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com