Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Dan North <ta...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/17 17:15:52 UTC

any plans for a public ivy repository?

Hi folks.

Firstly, thanks to the ivy team - ivy is exactly what I was looking for.
Especially the transitive dependencies - it's perfect for describing
multiple use cases.

I am wondering what your plans are for something like jayasoft's old ivyrep
repository? I would love to have somewhere to read (and publish) ivy files,
both for pre-existing open source libraries and my own projects.

To provide some background, I've been using ivy for about a year now, having
successfully migrated a large codebase from a monolithic ant build, via a
multi-module maven2 build (painful and verbose) and then ant-driving-maven
(just verbose). We decided to roll our own ivy.xml files for each external
dependency, because the maven poms were trying to pull in every possible
dependency. For most of the jars we used there were no pull-through
dependencies we cared about so we used a boilerplate empty ivy file. For the
others (such as some of the spring jars) it was pretty simple to put
together the respective dependencies and have them pulled through
transitively.

We ended up with our own "local" ivy repository that just had the ivy files,
and the jars themselves would be pulled down and cached from the maven repo
at ibiblio. What I would like is a public version of our local repository,
which it looks like ivyrep used to be before ivy moved to the apache
incubator.

Thanks again for a great tool. The post-resolve tasks are a stroke of
genius.

Cheers,
Dan

Re: any plans for a public ivy repository?

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Archie Cobbs <ar...@dellroad.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Dan North <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am wondering what your plans are for something like jayasoft's old
> ivyrep
> > repository? I would love to have somewhere to read (and publish) ivy
> files,
> > both for pre-existing open source libraries and my own projects.
>
> Dan,
>
> My sentiments exactly :-) You may be interested in Ivy RoundUp:
>
>  http://ivyroundup.googlecode.com/
>  http://ivyroundup.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/repo/modules.xml
>
> Although it currently requires a modified version of Ivy (which you can
> download
> or build yourself), I believe the patch will be included in the 2.0
> release.

The patch is now included in trunk, so you can simply use a trunk version.

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: any plans for a public ivy repository?

Posted by Archie Cobbs <ar...@dellroad.org>.