Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Lionel MARTIN <ma...@hotmail.com> on 2007/05/11 20:02:47 UTC

Re: After retrieving data from DB, the memory doesn't seem to befreed up

Hi,

I think you got me wrong.

My initial question was basically something like "how could I preserve/give
back memory if needed" (i.e. in rare situations) and the reply turned up
into a "don't use large scalars". (which is relevant, I agree, but was not
directly replying my initial question)

> - use Apache2::SizeLimit to kill off a process if it gets too big
>   (but doesn't work under windows)
Unfortunately, I am developing under Windows, so...
> - force your child process to exit after serving the request if you
>   have to do something big (eg process a large image, generate a PDF)
>
> Obviously, for the second case, I'm assuming that you would do these
> things on a small percentage of your total requests, otherwise killing
> off your child would be a major bottleneck.

Here, as well, killing a child process under Windows, means killing my whole
Apache server (and so all the serving threads).

So, that's out of the equation.

Lionel.

Re: After retrieving data from DB, the memory doesn't seem to befreed up

Posted by Clinton Gormley <cl...@traveljury.com>.

> > Obviously, for the second case, I'm assuming that you would do these
> > things on a small percentage of your total requests, otherwise killing
> > off your child would be a major bottleneck.
>
> Here, as well, killing a child process under Windows, means killing my whole
> Apache server (and so all the serving threads).

I thought that $r->child_terminate would work under threaded MPMs as
well, but it doesn't.

My mistake.

clint