Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org> on 2008/01/15 17:28:27 UTC

component suggest : commons-monitoring

Hello,

I just asked for an apache lab for a java monitoring component
(
http://labs.markmail.org/search/list:org.apache.labs.labs#query:list%3Aorg.apache.labs.labs+page:1+mid:bkztzg2rmceuopvq+state:results
)

One year ago I've created a sourceforge project (www.jmonit.org) with same
idea in mind, and used it @work, but did not yet create a community around
this project that could make it eligible to the apache incubator.

As an alternative to apache labs, the apache.commons sandbox seems to be the
best place to create such a component, and to get feedback from the wide and
talentuous apache developers community.

What is the "apache.commons" way for such contribution request ?

Nico.

Re: component suggest : commons-monitoring

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.
The current jmonit code base is more an experiment, or a "proof of concept",
than a stable codebase ready for incubation.
My intention is to start a new component from scratch, taking benefict from
this first attempt.
That is the reason why I do not take incubator as first option.

Nico.

We have a policy that any ASF committer can start something in our

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.
I've found the example proposal in the sandbox/project-template.
I'll publish one soon.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.

> > Could you please grant me access to the sandbox SVN ?
>
> Done.

Thanks

> > Is there some rule to follow for documentation, to best fit with other
> > commons ?
>
> You'll know when you break them ;)
>
> Generally (new) components are using m2 for the build system and JDK
> 1.5 dependent now; or planning a move to those. That helps keep the
> websites generally similar (there's a parent pom to reference in the
> sandbox).

I plan to code for java 5 and provided a (retrotranslator) backported
version for java 1.3/1.4

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.
I'm ok with the graduate rule.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 1/15/08, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2008 4:28 PM, nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just asked for an apache lab for a java monitoring component
> > (
> > http://labs.markmail.org/search/list:org.apache.labs.labs#query:list%3Aorg.apache.labs.labs+page:1+mid:bkztzg2rmceuopvq+state:results
> > )

<big-snip/>

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 15, 2008 4:28 PM, nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just asked for an apache lab for a java monitoring component
> (
> http://labs.markmail.org/search/list:org.apache.labs.labs#query:list%3Aorg.apache.labs.labs+page:1+mid:bkztzg2rmceuopvq+state:results
> )
>
> One year ago I've created a sourceforge project (www.jmonit.org) with same
> idea in mind, and used it @work, but did not yet create a community around
> this project that could make it eligible to the apache incubator.

Actually theres no community requirement to *enter* the incubator -
just to exit it. Thats one of the main purposes of incubation -
creating a community. The real requirment is gathering mentors and
pursuading the incubator folks (or other sponsoring PMC) that its a
good idea.