Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by David Shere <ds...@steelerubber.com> on 2009/04/16 13:17:59 UTC

Make a working copy from an export

I have an export of my repository which I wish to make into a working
copy.

Here's my situation:
I use Subversion to manage my music library.  I have a working copy at
home and at work, and sometimes check out portions in other places.  I
recently deleted my working copy at work and need to restore it.  The
server is hosted at home, so when I check out at work, I'm depending on
my upload bandwidth at home, which is minimal.  An export of the library
is 10GB, but a working copy is 21GB.  I can bring an export to work on
my 16GB USB Flash drive, but the flash drive is too small for a working
copy.  That's why I want to put an export on my flash drive (at home),
take it to work, and then convert the export to a working copy.

This hasn't been an issue in the past because each update at work was
only a handful of files, since I was adding music to the repository one
album at a time.  Now that I have to check out the entire library, it
becomes a much more bandwidth-hungry operation.  I have seen some
tutorials on how to make an export from a working copy, but not the
other way around.  I would make no changes to the export.

I realize there are other ways to do this:
1.  Use the flash drive to copy half of the working copy one day and the
other half the next day
2.  Run a series of checkout/interrupt iterations at work.
I'm wondering if there's a tool in Subversion to do the work for me.

Re: Make a working copy from an export

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, Les Mikesell!

>>> Are any of the common compression techniques good enough to notice that
>>> you have 2 copies of everything?  Zip wouldn't because it handles each
>>> one separately.
>>
>> 2 copies of what? Where you saw that he have duplicates in library?
>> If you want to make differential/sequential archive, you could use rar.
>> Also, rar and 7z support solid compression (God! I think only zip don't
>> support it yet!)

> A working copy has 2 copies of each unchanged file - the visible one and
> the hidden pristine copy, which is the cause of the size problem in the
> first place.

Point.
Then even solid archiving won't help much. Most likely, every single file just
bigger than any archiver dictionary.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: Make a working copy from an export

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.

    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: Make a working copy from an export

Posted by Kurt Pruenner <le...@gmx.at>.
Andrey Repin wrote:
> 2 copies of what? Where you saw that he have duplicates in library?

In a working copy, there's 2 copies of each file - the file itself, and
it's BASE version in .svn/text-base.

In the case of MP3 files that are just added and checked out of the
repository, it's very, very likely for those to be one and the same.

I guess he could use a shell script (dunno if or how it's doable in
Windows' command line interpreter) to delete (or better, not copy) all
entries in .svn/text-base that are identical to their associated files
then looking for missing files in the target working copy and recreating
the missing files in .svn/text-base by copying from the working copy.

That should reduce the amount of extra space used for the repository to
a negligible amount...

--
Kurt Bernhard Pruenner --- Haendelstrasse 17 --- 4020 Linz --- Austria
.......It might be written "Mindfuck", but it's spelt "L-A-I-N".......

Re: Make a working copy from an export

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, Les Mikesell!

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Apr 16, 2009, at 11:27, Stephen Connolly wrote:

> 2009/4/16 Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> Tony Sweeney wrote:

>> for me.
>> >
>> > I'm not aware of any natively supported way.

You can turn an export into a working copy using the new --force switch:

svn co --force URL_OF_REPO PATH_TO_DIR

However, it will take the exact same amount of bandwidth to do this
as it would to create a fresh working copy, so this will not help
with the original problem.

>> > Probably the easiest
>> > solution is simply to buy a bigger USB stick or a portable USB hard
>> > drive.  A 32 GB USB stick will run you $60-70 from Newegg; a 160GB
>> > external USB hard drive will run you $55-70 from the same
>> source.  Note
>> > that there is quite a difference in speed between flash drives,
>> so you
>> > may want to do some research before you fork over your cash.
>>
>> You can get laptop-sized USB-powered external drives all the way
>> up to
>> 500Gb these days so portability isn't a huge problem.  The quick-fix
>> here might be to simply zip or tar -z the working copy if that
>> will make
>> it fit, though.

Since the data is his music library, this is likely mp3 or m4a files
which are already compressed. Zip won't be able to compress them any
further.

> You could just zip the WC up, and then split the zip file into
> parts big enough to fit on your USB stick... it would take more
> than one trip, but you'd get there eventually (hopefully in 2 trips
> only too)

This suggestion should work nicely.

Re: Make a working copy from an export

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
You could just zip the WC up, and then split the zip file into parts big
enough to fit on your USB stick... it would take more than one trip, but
you'd get there eventually (hopefully in 2 trips only too)

-Stephen

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tony Sweeney <ts...@omnifone.com>.

Tony.

Posted by Olivier Sannier <ob...@free.fr>.
David Shere wrote:
> I realize there are other ways to do this:
> 1.  Use the flash drive to copy half of the working copy one day and the
> other half the next day
> 2.  Run a series of checkout/interrupt iterations at work.
> I'm wondering if there's a tool in Subversion to do the work for me.

Can't you zip the WC and see if it helps?
As to your point 2, it's simply doing an initial checkout and then use
"update" whenever you have stopped. It will restart from where it left off.
And you could also do a sparse checkout if you want to.
Or ultimately, buy a 32Gb flash drive ;-)