Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by Litrik De Roy <li...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/03 11:48:30 UTC

Cryptography and redistributing Tika

Hi,

Tika uses some cryptography code from the Bouncy Castle through
PDFBox. In https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-118 some
paperwork was done for the US exports regulation compliance.

What is the impact of all this when I build something on top of Tika
(like an Eclipse plugin) and distribute it?
Since I would be re-exporting the crypto code, do I need to go through
all that paperwork as well?

--
Litrik De Roy
Norio ICT Consulting - http://www.norio.be/

Re: Cryptography and redistributing Tika

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Feb 4, 2008 10:34 AM, Litrik De Roy <li...@litrik.com> wrote:
> All of a sudden, writing an Eclipse plug-in on top of Tika seems a lot
> less interesting (especially without a large organization like Apache
> taking care of legal issues).
>
> Does Tika work if I leave out the crypto libraries?

Yes, they are only needed if you want to parse encrypted PDF files.

PDFBox is about to enter Apache as another incubating project, and
we'll likely spend some effort further clarifying the export issues
there.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Cryptography and redistributing Tika

Posted by Litrik De Roy <li...@litrik.com>.
On Feb 4, 2008 8:38 AM, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
> That's only applicable if your company is based in the U.S. The Apache
> Software Foundation is located in the U.S. and "exports" cryptography to
> all the world. Based on US law it has to go through this "paperwork". If
> your country has similar (IMO ineffective) laws you may have to do
> similar work.
>

> On 03.02.2008 11:48:30 Litrik De Roy wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Tika uses some cryptography code from the Bouncy Castle through
> > PDFBox. In https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-118 some
> > paperwork was done for the US exports regulation compliance.
> >
> > What is the impact of all this when I build something on top of Tika
> > (like an Eclipse plugin) and distribute it?
> > Since I would be re-exporting the crypto code, do I need to go through
> > all that paperwork as well?

The crypto notice in the apache FAQ at
http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html states: "BEFORE using any
encryption software, please check your country's laws, regulations and
policies concerning the import, possession, or use, and re-export of
encryption software, to  see if this is permitted.  See
<http://www.wassenaar.org/> for more information."

I live in Belgium. Technically I would be re-exporting the crypto code.
IANAL, but Belgium participates in the Wassenaar Arrangement so it
looks like I might have to do similar paperwork. Kinda hard to do
without contact information at
http://www.wassenaar.org/participants/contacts.html#Belgium

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
That's only applicable if your company is based in the U.S. The Apache
Software Foundation is located in the U.S. and "exports" cryptography to
all the world. Based on US law it has to go through this "paperwork". If
your country has similar (IMO ineffective) laws you may have to do
similar work.

On 03.02.2008 11:48:30 Litrik De Roy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Tika uses some cryptography code from the Bouncy Castle through
> PDFBox. In https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-118 some
> paperwork was done for the US exports regulation compliance.
>
> What is the impact of all this when I build something on top of Tika
> (like an Eclipse plugin) and distribute it?
> Since I would be re-exporting the crypto code, do I need to go through
> all that paperwork as well?
>
> --
> Litrik De Roy
> Norio ICT Consulting - http://www.norio.be/