Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Stu Hood <st...@rackspace.com> on 2009/06/16 23:16:45 UTC

Disk Usage Overhead of Hadoop Upgrade

Hey gang,

We're preparing to upgrade our cluster from Hadoop 0.15.3 to 0.18.3.

How much disk usage overhead can we expect from the block conversion before we finalize the upgrade? In the worst case, will the upgrade cause our disk usage to double?

Thanks,

Stu Hood
Search Team Technical Lead
Email & Apps Division, Rackspace Hosting

Re: Disk Usage Overhead of Hadoop Upgrade

Posted by Pankil Doshi <fo...@gmail.com>.
hi Stu,

which block conversion are you talking about? If you are talking abt block
size of data then it remains same in upgrade unless and until you change it.

Pankil

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@yahoo-inc.com>.
The initial overhead is fairly small (extra hard link for each file).

After that, the overhead grows as you delete the files (thus its blocks)
that existed before the upgrade.. since the physical files for blocks
are deleted only after you finalize.

So the overhead == (the blocks that got deleted after the upgrade).

Raghu.