Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Alexander J. Vincent" <js...@pacbell.net> on 2002/01/24 19:42:00 UTC

Processing Instructions and Apache Modules (newbie question)

Dear Sirs,

    I've been scrounging around the apache.org sections, particularly
xml.apache.org, trying to figure out about processing instructions in
XML documents for Apache.  I know and have used a couple special
processing instructions:  <?php ?> for the PHP language, and
<?xml-stylesheet ?> for XML stylesheets.  I'm a bit at a loss, though,
for a central Apache module that would parse the XML document and call
the appropriate Apache module for a given processing instruction.

    Unfortunately, I do not know where to ask about this, so I'm making
an educated guess that I should ask here.

    The concept is this:  an XML document can have several processing
instructions, each aimed at a different target.  But how might I use
Xerces, or some other Apache.org project, to process the XML document's
PI's correctly and efficiently?  I'd want <?php ?> to go through the PHP
Apache module, and a custom <?kibitz ?> processing instruction to be
assigned to a hypothetical Kibitz language.

Alex Vincent
Vallejo, CA