Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Flaviu Simihaian <fl...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/26 01:58:31 UTC

GSOC

Hello,

My name is Flaviu Simihaian, and am interested in applying for  Google
Summer of Code Project.

Proposal Title: Sling mini-CMS to demonstrate the strong features Sling has
over other web frameworks

Student Name: Flaviu Simihaian

Student E-mail: flsimihaian@gmail.com

Organization/Project: Sling

Assigned Mentor: Bertrand
Delacretaz</jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=bdelacretaz>

Proposal Abstract: I am a Java Developer and systems administrator for a
Struts/Hibernate/Tomcat system and have become interested in porting that to
a lighter, faster framework. I looked into Sling a little, and liked it, but
funding got cut so I was not able to go into great depth. However, I would
love to learn more about it by developing a mini-CMS to demonstrate its
features and strong suits.

Detailed Description: I have an Economics Degree, and will have my Masters
in Software Design and Engineering in May 2010, so I would like to spend my
summer working on a Java project that is fun. I have recently joined the
open source community, learned languages like Python, Scala, and others
which have expanded my horizons and desire to learn and contribute more to
the open source community. I think Sling is a great fit because it combines
some technologies I am already familiar with (REST, JSP, JavaScript) with
others I heard about but want to learn more by doing (like OSGi).

For specifics in terms of tasks, dates, and objectives of the project, I
think it would help if we discussed the specifics on IRC (closedbracket),
twitter (@closedbracket) or over email.

Additional Information: I am SCJP, SCWCD, and have taught Java for two years
at a private High School, before working as a Systems Administrator and
developer for UNC Charlotte. As a side note, I have also been a professional
tennis player, having achieved a world ranking of 1392 (they only go up to
1500)

Thank you,

Flaviu Simihaian

Re: GSOC

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Flaviu,

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 1:58 AM, Flaviu Simihaian <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...My name is Flaviu Simihaian, and am interested in applying for  Google
> Summer of Code Project.
>
> Proposal Title: Sling mini-CMS to demonstrate the strong features Sling has
> over other web frameworks...

Thanks for your interest!

I guess the next steps are for you to get (more) familiar with Sling
and its community - the community development group only takes care of
the overall GSoC @apache organization, but specifics of student
projects are handled by the ASF projects themselves.

The GSoC proposals process will be managed in the GSoc webapps of
course, but you're welcome to discuss the project on the Sling mailing
lists if you have ideas/suggestions after studying Sling.

The http://sling.apache.org/site/project-information.html page lists
the addresses of the Sling mailing lists -see you there!

-Bertrand