Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2014/12/14 19:37:09 UTC

Deflecting the Attack of the Clones

I have been watching the arrival of support requests for AOO knock-offs on Android and plain-old PCs with some dismay.  Some of this damage is self-inflicted: The Apache OpenOffice source code compiles to binaries that describes themselves and support structures as offered by Apache OpenOffice.  That and the permissive license allows cloners to do whatever they want without consequences or support burdens, while extracting support fees (and add-cancellation upgrades), and whatever benefits there are for installing malware/adware alongside.

I ponder this dilemma from time to time and this is how I propose to produce open-source code under permissive licenses.  Not that anything I produce will appeal to parasites as valuable to clone.  It is the practice that intrigues me along with my interest in having ways to establish trustworthy producer-adopter relationships.

Here's my thinking about how I would manage in the face of parasitic cloning where it is up to me.  It would be more difficult for an Apache Top-Level Project, though not impossible.  It does mean that convenience binaries are not identical to what can be produced using the source distribution alone, and the difference is apparent.

This does not prevent counterfeiting of a supported binary distribution.  It does allow counterfeits to be detected.  It doesn't prevent distribution of unaltered binaries within a parasitic installer.  It doesn't prevent redistributions for a fee.  With regard to end-users, unaltered binaries are of-course supported.  Other derivatives are not.  Adopters of other derivatives will be treated gently in their searches for support.

 - Dennis

PRESERVING DISTRIBUTION PROVENANCE AND AUTHENTICITY

 1. The code will compile as a working/reference/developer binary. It will not provide signed binaries or anything that, shared as binaries, will provide identification as some sort of authenticated and supported end-user distribution.  It will not come with any support notification or automatic updates, and it is meant for developers and testing, not end-user support of any kind.

 2. The source tree will contain placeholder resources that are extracted and then used in a default build.  To obtain other than a default build, the extractions of the placeholders can be replaced and the signing and time-stamping build-steps included in a construction.  The versions of those resources for "official" distributions are not open-sourced and are introduced privately in a working copy, just as private keys are applied privately.  This would be true for me, and for anyone else who wants to make some sort of official distribution of their own, whether the public source code is modified or not.

 3. With regard to the "source code is the release" mantra, this is not a problem.  Anyone can compile, use, and adapt the source code and produce their own binaries as much as they like.  They just won't appear to be mine, unless someone intentionally does that.  And it still won't be signed by me (unless there is a signing-key compromise, triggering a disaster-recovery plan).

 4. Customizations of resources that are not shared include logos, icons, notices, update-check protocol data, etc.  There will be identification of the source-code release that is used and appropriate inclusion of support details.  There may have to be supplements to localization, internationalization and accessibility provisions, and that will take some work.  There will be enough information in the source code and the documentation of the default resources so anyone can know what steps to take in providing their own customization.

Re: Deflecting the Attack of the Clones

Posted by jonathon <to...@gmail.com>.

On 16/12/14 00:20, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> I'll ask the particular user what led him to users @oo.a.o.

Photographs at
http://libreoffice-environment.blogspot.com/2014/12/when-is-apache-open-office-not-apache.html
to show why Apache Open Office is the expected support site.

For some strange reason, I can't do screen-shots on my Android device.
(I think I need to root it, to install the screen-shot software.)

jonathon

RE: Deflecting the Attack of the Clones

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I think the problem is that at least one purchaser of their ads-free option complained to users @oo.a.o and was convinced that it was ours to support and to fix the crashers he experienced.

It might be good to consult with the trademarks folks about what constitutes confusion and how we would request others to avoid causing it.  Consider <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOO>.

I don't know what contributed to the confusion for that user.  I'm not in a position to install it on any device I have in order to see what the issues might be with the app itself and how it is presented.

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>.

Posted by jonathon <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 3:00 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org
> wrote:

> [Not cross-posting to private@.]
>
>  -- replying to --

Right on all counts! This last item was particularly confusing to me, as it
seems that what's in google play is very different from andropenoffice.com.

>    Here is a typical example of confusion about this product,
>    <
> https://www.marshut.net/pyzxp/aoo-for-android-not-worth-the-download.html
> >.
>    Notice "Apache's Open Office for Android."  And folks speak of AOO for
>    Android as if it is the AOO known to us.
>
>    I think the distinction between a port and a fork is lost here and too
> fine
>    hair-splitting to be useful.  If the Apache OpenOffice project is
> willing
>    to handle support requests for such a product, so be it.  Enjoy the
>    reputation.
> </orcmid>

Yes, the words "fork" and "port" were used and they are not really the
same. .  I think contacting the vendor re the distinction between these two
terms might solve this problem.

We will investigate the support item as well.

MzK

"There's a bit of magic in everything,
  and some loss to even things out."
                            -- Lou Reed

RE: Deflecting the Attack of the Clones

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 10:17 AM, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sunday, December 21, 2014, Dennis E. Hamilton <de...@acm.org>

I've copied "private" on this reply so we can investigate and discuss
further.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 6:29 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org

The solution is comparatively simple:  a strong, well funded, community
supported marketing "project".  A brand is only as good as the marketing
behind it and "consumer awareness" is simply a product of good marketing.
The enduser downloading clones is only aware of the brand under her cursor
if the primary brand is not out there for them to see.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com>.
On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<de...@acm.org> wrote:
> [...]

someplace that their source code distribution lacks the Firefox
branding.   It is more of a "white label" product, functionally the
same as Firefox, but without the branding.

But still, I don't think that really solves the problems that we face.
  Correct be if I'm wrong, but we're not really seeing someone doing
their own compile of AOO from source code and using that to spread
malware, right?   We're seeing people take our binaries directly and
bundle that with installers that spread the malware, or put up
websites that charge and then point to AOO's binaries directly.

In the end, the real harm here is done to the users.  So I wonder
whether the best we can do is make it easy for them to raise
complaints with those who can take action, e.g, payment processors
associated with credit cards or telephone networks, or even consumer

-Rob