Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Roxie Rochat <rr...@journee.com> on 2001/04/21 01:06:17 UTC

Where did the name "struts" originate?

It's the first question people ask me when I describe
struts and I don't remember seeing its origin explained anywhere.
Is it an acronym or does it refer to the framework part?
Thanks,
Roxie

Re: Where did the name "struts" originate?

Posted by Robert Leland <Ro...@free2create.org>.
Search the mail archive  www.mail-archive.com I recall Craig answering that
question back in October/November 2000. I thought it ment the struts of a airplane
but that wasn't where the name came from.

--
Robert Leland			Robert@free2create.org
804 N. Kenmore Street		+01-703-525-3580

Re: Where did the name "struts" originate?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Roxie Rochat wrote:

> It's the first question people ask me when I describe
> struts and I don't remember seeing its origin explained anywhere.
> Is it an acronym or does it refer to the framework part?
> Thanks,
> Roxie

It originally came from a strong memory from when I had a house built --
there were struts all over the place holding things up.  Thus, the idea of
a framework that "holds everything up" but is itself invisible was born...

Craig