Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au> on 2006/11/15 10:47:38 UTC

Reorganise repository

I’d like to reorganise the directories in the repo a bit, to be more
like fop’s (src, src/java, src/java-1.3, src/java-1.4,
src/documentation, src/resources, test, test/java, test/resources,
test/references, test/reports).  It’ll be a bit neater, I think.

I’m also going to update the bundled Ant to 1.6.5, since it seems to fix
some performance problems with some changes I’m going to make to the
bulid file (execing svn to generate proper whole working-copy revision
numbers in Version.java; the SVN+yyyymmdd format is broken at the
moment).  It still works with JDK 1.3.

Any objections?

--
Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/

Re: Reorganise repository

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au>.
Cameron McCormack:
> > > I’d like to reorganise the directories in the repo a bit, to be more
> > > like fop’s (src, src/java, src/java-1.3, src/java-1.4,
> > > src/documentation, src/resources, test, test/java, test/resources,
> > > test/references, test/reports).  It’ll be a bit neater, I think.

Thomas DeWeese:
>    Well, I'm not that fond of it (the src/java bit always get's to
> me, what else are we going to have? ;) but I don't really care.  So if
> you prefer it go ahead.
>
>    BTW what goes in src/documentation?

I was going to put the new Forrest site sources in there.  It has more
than just a single xdocs directory.  That’s why I thought the directory
reorganisation might’ve made it more consistent—the Forrest
documentation files are source files too.

But actually I don’t mind too much either.  I’ll leave it as is for now,
and put a documentation directory in the top level.

>    I for one like bundling ant, especially since I don't think it's
> true that everyone has ant installed (especially 'beginners').

I agree.  (Although beginners probably wouldn’t be building from
source.)

Jeremias Märki:
> > And what about the switch to Forrest? How far is that?

I’ll upload the sources soon.

--
Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/

Re: Reorganise repository

Posted by th...@kodak.com.
Hi Cameron, Jeremias,

Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote on 11/17/2006 03:50:53 AM:

> On 15.11.2006 10:47:38 Cameron McCormack wrote:
> > I?d like to reorganise the directories in the repo a bit, to be more
> > like fop?s (src, src/java, src/java-1.3, src/java-1.4,
> > src/documentation, src/resources, test, test/java, test/resources,
> > test/references, test/reports).  It?ll be a bit neater, I think.

   Well, I'm not that fond of it (the src/java bit always get's to
me, what else are we going to have? ;) but I don't really care.  So if
you prefer it go ahead.

   BTW what goes in src/documentation?

> I support that. And maybe src/external for the W3C sources if the way
> through XML Commons is not doable.

> How about not bundling Ant anymore? This is considered best practice. At
> least I've read that somewhere a long time ago but I can't find the
> reference.

   I for one like bundling ant, especially since I don't think it's
true that everyone has ant installed (especially 'beginners').

> you can cut back on the distribution size like that. XML Graphics
> Commons also doesn't bundle Ant.

    Well we already make a 'binary' dist that doesn't include ant.
If you are getting the source dist the .5MB ant is swamped by the
test-references part of the tree.

Re: Reorganise repository

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 15.11.2006 10:47:38 Cameron McCormack wrote:
> I’d like to reorganise the directories in the repo a bit, to be more
> like fop’s (src, src/java, src/java-1.3, src/java-1.4,
> src/documentation, src/resources, test, test/java, test/resources,
> test/references, test/reports).  It’ll be a bit neater, I think.

I support that. And maybe src/external for the W3C sources if the way
through XML Commons is not doable.

> I’m also going to update the bundled Ant to 1.6.5, since it seems to fix
> some performance problems with some changes I’m going to make to the
> bulid file (execing svn to generate proper whole working-copy revision
> numbers in Version.java; the SVN+yyyymmdd format is broken at the
> moment).  It still works with JDK 1.3.
>
> Any objections?

How about not bundling Ant anymore? This is considered best practice. At
least I've read that somewhere a long time ago but I can't find the
reference. Since everyone in the Java world has Ant installed by now and
we didn't experience anything bad when we removed Ant in FOP, you can
cut back on the distribution size like that. XML Graphics Commons also
doesn't bundle Ant.

And what about the switch to Forrest? How far is that?

Jeremias Maerki