Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Bernhard Molz <mo...@gmx.de> on 2019/01/18 10:18:26 UTC

Quickstart: Error with MinGW and two minor suggestions

Hi,

I'm just working through the Quickstart page.
https://kafka.apache.org/quickstart

As I'm working on Windows, I use MinGW to emulate Linux.
1) On MinGW, I get this error:
me@computer MINGW64 /c/java/kafka_2.12
$ bin/kafka-console-producer.sh --broker-list localhost:9092 --topic test
log4j:ERROR Could not read configuration file from URL [file:/c/java/kafka_2.12/bin/../config/tools-log4j.properties].
java.io.FileNotFoundException: \c\java\kafka_2.12\bin\..\config\tools-log4j.properties (The system cannot find the path specified)

Other commands like zookeeper-server-start.sh or kafka-server-start.sh
work without errors on MinGW.

2) The Quickstart is Linux only, all commands are Linux, e.g. bin/zookeeper-server-start.sh.
I'm mistyping all the time, and I guess, other folks are pretty much like me.
How about providing either
  a) a separate page for Windows with the appropriate commands like \bin\windows\whatever.bat ...
  b) adding buttons like [I use Windows] and [I use Linux], and the page changes the OS specific commands.

3) The Quickstart shows, how to setup a cluster. I found this configuration property very confusing:
config/server-1.properties:
  listeners=PLAINTEXT://:9093

PLAINTEXT? Really? Why PLAINTEXT? I think, this is worthy of some documentation or should be
replaced by the hostname / ip to avoid confusion.

Regards,
Bernhard