Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Pedro Vivancos <pe...@um.es> on 2004/06/26 13:14:01 UTC

Using a Excel file as a logical model

Hi friends!

I am trying to use an Excel document in an application web. This document has a
lot of sheets and formulas to calculate some fields. I want to use this Excel
file to calculate cells, that is, I want to develop a web page which uses Excel
to calculate some fields and, after that, show these fields to the user via web.

Can I do that with POI?

I know POI is useful to open and write cells in an Excel file but I want to use
the functionality of Excel, that is, if I fill some cells, Excel will calculate
another ones, and I need to read these cells. Is it possible?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Best regards.

Re: Using a Excel file as a logical model

Posted by Avik Sengupta <av...@itellix.com>.
As you have guessed, POI is essentially a file reader/writer. It does
not aim to replicate the functionality of Excel. So unfortunately, it is
not meant to be used as replacement for excel.

Regards
-
Avik