Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org> on 2006/01/19 06:30:57 UTC

[logging] log4j transition

Hi,

Given that log4j 1.3 still hasn't released, I would like to revert the
name of the log4J12Logger back to Log4JLogger for the 1.1 release, and
remove the Log4J13Logger.

The name-change will break any config files that explicitly specify that
logger name. That breakage will have to occur eventually as long as the
log4j team keep to their plan of making a binary-incompatible release.
However I think we've got enough in this release without buying into
that issue too. In addition, I hate guessing the future on this; if we
release a Log4J13Logger class and then it doesn't work with the real
log4j13 that would be embarrassing.

Any objections to reverting to the old naming and removing Log4J13Logger
for now? [NB: I wrote it :-].

Cheers,

Simon

Re: [logging] log4j transition

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@mdh.se>.
Simon Kitching wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Given that log4j 1.3 still hasn't released, I would like to revert the
> name of the log4J12Logger back to Log4JLogger for the 1.1 release, and
> remove the Log4J13Logger.

+1

> The name-change will break any config files that explicitly specify that
> logger name. That breakage will have to occur eventually as long as the
> log4j team keep to their plan of making a binary-incompatible release.
> However I think we've got enough in this release without buying into
> that issue too. In addition, I hate guessing the future on this; if we
> release a Log4J13Logger class and then it doesn't work with the real
> log4j13 that would be embarrassing.
>
> Any objections to reverting to the old naming and removing Log4J13Logger
> for now? [NB: I wrote it :-].

Anything that makes upgrading as easy as possible for JCL users is a
good thing.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [logging] log4j transition

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 18:30 +1300, Simon Kitching wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Given that log4j 1.3 still hasn't released, I would like to revert the
> name of the log4J12Logger back to Log4JLogger for the 1.1 release, and
> remove the Log4J13Logger.

+1

> The name-change will break any config files that explicitly specify that
> logger name. That breakage will have to occur eventually as long as the
> log4j team keep to their plan of making a binary-incompatible release.
> However I think we've got enough in this release without buying into
> that issue too. In addition, I hate guessing the future on this; if we
> release a Log4J13Logger class and then it doesn't work with the real
> log4j13 that would be embarrassing.
>
> Any objections to reverting to the old naming and removing Log4J13Logger
> for now? [NB: I wrote it :-].

go ahead

consider taking a tag before hand to make it trivial to get it back
again.

- robert

RE: [logging] log4j transition

Posted by Andy McBride <an...@dsl.pipex.com>.

I think a couple weeks ago Level was 'restored' to extend Priority whereas
it had been made a top level class before so maybe the problem has gone
away.

> I discussed this issue with them last year and they were determined to
> push on with their plan. They do have to get rid of the old stuff
> eventually, but it's very interesting that they are now considering
> holding off on that until a 2.0 release. I'll try to find time to talk
> to them about that but I don't think it affects the proposed JCL 1.1
> release.

No affect on JCL 1.1 at all, +1 to that.

Just hopeful that you won't need a 1.1.x release of JCL just to support
log4j1.3 when it is released :-)

Regards

Andy

RE: [logging] log4j transition

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 23:27 +0000, Andy McBride wrote:

> The log4j team now appear intent on restoring binary compatibility in the
> 1.3 codebase and are attempting to defer breaking changes to a later 2.0
> release.

Thanks for the info.

Posted by Andy McBride <an...@dsl.pipex.com>.
Hi,