Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2022/02/17 18:28:51 UTC

GitHub features - enable issues? discussions?

We can enable github features; settings are controlled by the .asf.yaml
file on branch main in the repo.

Full documentation:
https://s.apache.org/asfyaml

Is there interest in opening up any features, initially on an
experimental basis?

My concern is that more communication channels, with same amount of
responding resources, is not necessarily better.  I would be cautious
about adding features because even "experimental" is some level of
commitment.

That said, "issues" and "discussions" look interesting.

We can move items between "issues" and "discussions" if incoming is in
the wrong place. It will help keep issues cleaner.

== GH issues

We have JIRA and it is useful to because it gets used to record which
tickets get addressed in which release. It has a usage model where as
github issues allows you build usage.

The JIRA installation is a separate system and the user has to have
their own log-in. And the markup syntax is different.

Without creating inventing manual process around GH-labels for versions
etc. should we open up GH-issues? How do we retain a list of all thing
addressed by a release? (not a blocker).

Our releases are GH-tagged.  https://github.com/apache/jena/tags

Linking within github:

https://docs.github.com/en/get-started/writing-on-github/working-with-advanced-formatting/autolinked-references-and-urls

https://docs.github.com/en/issues/tracking-your-work-with-issues/linking-a-pull-request-to-an-issue

== GH Discussions

 From the /asfyaml link above:
"""
GitHub Discussions is currently a beta feature and does not have an API
endpoint. Until this is addressed, please open an Infra Jira ticket with
a link to a consensus discussion thread for your project.
"""

I found about 10 projects that have raised tickets and I looked at one
or two who do have discussions enabled.

I'd like to open the discussions up as a users@ resource  - I hope they
will become a repository of knowledge.

It is NOT a place for project decisions.

We ought to have a VOTE on this to show consensus or not, including as
much community input as possible.

     Andy

Re: Github issues changes

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Done.

Github issues and github discussions are now live.

Re: Github issues changes

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
INFRA request

Re: Github issues changes

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Not quite so simple to separate "issues" and "discussions" ...

One feature of GH is that you can transfer an issue into a discussion
and create issues from discussions.

We have had a few question-by-JIRA this year.  That's not that helpful
because it isn't a place that others will search.

We do often get users@ email that report issues.

So add "enable discussion", which will need a lazy-consesnus vote --
INFRA ask for this because there isn't a stable API to it yet so it
isn't archived on non-github hardware.

     Andy

Github issues changes

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Re: GitHub features - enable issues? discussions?

Posted by Bruno Kinoshita <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
IF we are making changes ... what's the preferred email routing?

GH issues -> issues@jena (new list)
GH pull requests -> pr@jena
GH discussions -> not practical today?
     No stable GH API - not INFRA provided

Or one "github@" list?

JIRA:
   Today - goes to dev@jena
     We may have a jira@ list - if so, it's not active.
     leave as-is
     route to issues@jena, same a GH issues
     route to a separate jira@jena

I mildly prefer to split the lists out and allow people to file to same
or different folders as the choose.
(I use GH notifications across all my watched repos)

As most of the traffic on dev@ is JIRA related, I wouldn't mind routing
it to jira@ - it allows people to have all in one place or to split it.

A dev@ for project discussions and VOTEs will make dev@ significantly
quieter and maybe encourage discussions as they are a little easier to
see and track. (And have to be explain in the board report!)

     Andy

On 17/02/2022 20:08, Bruno Kinoshita wrote:
> I think this would be a good experiment, but definitely not the place for
> project decisions to be recorded (if a discussion there generates some
> decision, then we'd still have to move it & document in the mailing list I
> think).

We can also ourselves treat GH-issues as a more convenient route for
external issue raising, many of which are specific problems, and keep
JIRA for significant fixes and change of functionality.

Also - we do have an upturn in JIRA that are questions. Once, that never
happened; now it is happening. Not many but some.

> But that might increase the user interaction and contribution. Will wait
> for the vote thread :-)
>
> Thanks
> Bruno
>
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2022 at 07:28, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>> == GH issues
...>> == GH Discussions

Re: GitHub features - enable issues? discussions?

Posted by Bruno Kinoshita <br...@gmail.com>.