Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Mark Robson <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/13 12:27:02 UTC

Bootstrapping newly added nodes

Hi,

Looking at CASSANDRA-213 I see that there is now a procedure to "Bootstrap"
a newly added node so it will copy the relevant parts of data from other
nodes in the cluster.

This is a Good Thing.

What I do wonder is, why don't we automatically do this when you add a new
node to an existing cluster (when it comes up for the first time) ?

Also, what happens to queries which hit the node while it's getting the
data? Do they return "no data" or do they say "go away, try again", or is it
marked as unhealthy so that the other nodes won't query it?

Mark

Re: Bootstrapping newly added nodes

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
see CASSANDRA-195