Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Ja...@ustranscom.mil on 2013/04/29 16:15:51 UTC

Bizarre Solr issue

Hello, everyone.

I have a really bizarre Solr issue that I hope someone can help me resolve.

Production environment is *nix running CF 9.0.0, with both Verity and Solr
collections.

Trying to list collections is breaking - one collection in particular is
breaking the CFCOLLECTION action="list": Error message states that the
solrconfig.xml file cannot be found.

I unregistered this collection via CFAdmin, then went into the file system
and deleted the folders for this collection and restarted both Application
and Solr services. Ran the script, again, and still getting the same error
message for the collection that we just completely removed.  It's NOT being
cached in the browser.

This is working fine in development (Windows environment, CF9.0.1).

Thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated.

RE: Bizarre Solr issue

Posted by Ja...@ustranscom.mil.
I don’t know if this will make any difference, or not, but production is two load-balanced servers (as far as I know, both identical).

If I run the script specifically on the first server, it errors as I have described.

If I run the script specifically on the second server, it lists the collections with no issue, but when I try to index the collection from a query, nothing is put into the collection - it will have a size of 0 and a doccount of 0 when the script completes.

Jack

RE: Bizarre Solr issue

Posted by Ja...@ustranscom.mil.
Hello, Alex, and thank you for your reply.

I just looked it up: ColdFusion Server 9 ships with Solr version 1.4.1.  Both
dev and production environments use the same version.

The script that I wrote takes environment into consideration - with three
Windows dev environments and one Linux production environment, all paths are
appropriately hardcoded for folder delimiter using a conditional statement -
all Windows environments are similar to "C:\path\to\collection" and the Linux
environment is hardcoded for "/usr/path/to/collection".  Although, I _could_
use a "/" for everything because CF Server automatically converts "\" to "/"
in paths, I'm so OCD about coding that I use whichever is correct for which
environment.

How do I access the Solr logs to check?  I'm fairly new to collections.

Thank you,

Jack

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
Version of Solr would help here. Solr 4+ will log where it find the
collections if enabled (not sure about earlier version). The most
likely problem is related to path. Perhaps you are hardcoding '\'
 separator somewhere on Windows and that messes up the path on Unix.
Or you have different Solr version on dev/prod.

I would probably look for path being mentioned in the logs and, if
that fails, using truss/strace
(http://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/unix2.1/unixnut/c02_236.htm) and just
check where solrconfig.xml is being looked for in reality. It is a
hammer ('when you have a hammer....') for sure, but it is often a
faster way to get ground-truth this way and then figure out what's
causing it.

Regards,
   Alex.
at once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD
book)

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 10:15 AM,  <Ja...@ustranscom.mil> wrote:
> Hello, everyone.
>
> I have a really bizarre Solr issue that I hope someone can help me resolve.
>
> Production environment is *nix running CF 9.0.0, with both Verity and Solr
> collections.
>
> Trying to list collections is breaking - one collection in particular is
> breaking the CFCOLLECTION action="list": Error message states that the
> solrconfig.xml file cannot be found.
>
> I unregistered this collection via CFAdmin, then went into the file system
> and deleted the folders for this collection and restarted both Application
> and Solr services. Ran the script, again, and still getting the same error
> message for the collection that we just completely removed.  It's NOT being
> cached in the browser.
>
> This is working fine in development (Windows environment, CF9.0.1).
>
> Thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated.

RE: Bizarre Solr issue

Posted by Ja...@ustranscom.mil.
The logs stdout and stderr are blank.  The log request had info, but nothing
that is related.

Persistent flag is set to true in all environments.

After backing up the solr.xml file, the collections were manually erased
from the file allowing me to list collections without breaking!  Yay.

This allowed my script to create at least one of the collections.  I'm sure
we'll get the other, soon.

Thank you to everyone for your help!

Jack

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.