Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Mauro Talevi <ma...@aquilonia.org> on 2007/11/19 13:10:36 UTC

Naming convention for ITs

Hi all,

there is a duplication of test classes in Surefire ITs, which leads to
classpath conflicts when entire project is opened in an IDE.

How about we adopt the convention to avoid these conflicts.  Either:

1. We use different test class names, eg TestSurefireN.java where N is
the test number.

2. We use packages to isolate ITs, eg
org.apache.maven.surefire.itN.TestSurefire.java

Cheers

Re: Naming convention for ITs

Posted by dfabulich <da...@fabulich.com>.
I think that's my fault.  Sorry about breaking your IDE config.  I didn't
think that it was normal to load up .java files in the src/test/resources
directory as compilable classes.

FWIW, I have been trying to avoid numbering ITs (e.g. "it0047") because I
don't think names like that communicate useful information, and because
there's a risk of confusing numbering conflict (do you mean core it0047 or
surefire IT 47)?

I'll try to take pains to keep tests out of the default package and in
packages named after their artifact so as to avoid future conflicts.