Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by EP...@upstate.com on 2003/06/10 15:27:01 UTC

Correct path name for logging in 2.3?

Hi all,

I know this has been asked, but I haven't been able to find it in the
lists..  I promise to add it to the wiki!

For log4j, I load my properties, but I keep getting:
ConfigServlet::initLogging - log4j configuration str =
[C:\fortius\target\fortius\/WEB-INF/conf/log4j.properties]
log4j:ERROR setFile(null,false) call failed.
java.io.FileNotFoundException: \logs\turbine.log (The system cannot find the
path specified)
	at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:176)
	at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:102)
	at org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.setFile(FileAppender.java:272)
	at
org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.activateOptions(FileAppender.java:151)
	at
org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.activate(PropertySetter.java:247)
	at
org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.java:123
)
	at
org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.java:87)
	at
org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseAppender(PropertyConfigurator.jav
a:645)

My relevant portion is:
#out to file
log4j.appender.application = org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
log4j.appender.application.file =${applicationRoot}/logs/turbine.log
log4j.appender.application.layout = org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.application.layout.conversionPattern = %d [%t] %-5p %c - %m%n
log4j.appender.application.append = false

I have tried file=/logs/turbine.log and logs/turbine.log etc...  Any
suggestions?

Eric Pugh

Re: Correct path name for logging in 2.3?

Posted by Rodrigo Reyes <ro...@instaservi.com>.
Mmmm... I had the same problem with ver 2.2 and I had to use abolute paths.
Try that, although I know it isn't the best solution... I haven't been able
to use relative paths so far...

Rodrigo

Posted by Akshay Kapur <ak...@cisco.com>.
A question on the same subject -
Our environment allows log files to be written to only one given log file.
The path is /opt/httpd/logs/app/myapp/tomcat.log

When I try to set this path as below ...
         log4j.appender.turbine.file = /opt/httpd/logs/app/myapp/tomcat.log
... a FileNotFound exception is thrown.

When I remove the entire path and simply give say tomcat.log, the log file
is created.

My problem is that I HAVE to point all logs - from tomcat, turbine,
velocity, torque - to /opt/httpd/logs/app/myapp/tomcat.log

Regards
Akshay

Posted by Akmal Sarhan <as...@byteaction.de>.
I have the same problem with Turbine 2.2

the thing is that when Log4j encounters a path that has a "${", it tries to
look for it in the Sysetem properties, if that fails it tries to load it
from the properties file, but guess which one? : log4j.properties and since
${ApplicationRoot} is written on Turbine start up to TR.properties, log4j
returns simply an empty String.

regards
Akmal
Posted by Quinton McCombs <qm...@nequalsone.com>.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Posted by Chris K Chew <ch...@fenetics.com>.
> From: EPugh@upstate.com [mailto:EPugh@upstate.com]
>
> For log4j, I load my properties, but I keep getting:
> ConfigServlet::initLogging - log4j configuration str =
> [C:\fortius\target\fortius\/WEB-INF/conf/log4j.properties]
> log4j:ERROR setFile(null,false) call failed.
> java.io.FileNotFoundException: \logs\turbine.log (The system
> cannot find the
> path specified)

My log4j file looks just like yours, and it works, so I am thinking the
problem is somewhere else.  The "\/" looks suspicious to me.  Is
"C:\fortius\target\fortius\" (with the trailing \) set in server.xml,
web.xml, or your path for a temporary context installation?  If so, what
happens if you remove the trailing "\"?

Ck

RE: Correct path name for logging in 2.3?

Posted by Quinton McCombs <qm...@nequalsone.com>.
Is then when running inside the servlet container?  If so, which
container are you using?  What is in your web.xml?