Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by James Listed <ja...@yahoo.com> on 2003/02/13 13:39:14 UTC

Configure to handle external mails within LAN

Hi,

I recently downloaded James 2.1 and installed it on my
Win2K, running Java 1.4.1. I have configured it
successfully till now.

Our current mail config is like this:

To rcv mails:
		  Mail server

	  Poll and download mails of
          selective users to a server

	      Distribute to users

Similarly, when i send mails:
		Mails from users

	 If within domain, use intranet.
       For specific id's in domain, send outside

		  Mail server

I now need to configure James the same way, ie:

1. I have some users, who belong to my domain, but not
on my LAN. So I dont want their mail to be downloaded
to my local server. They will downloaded it directly
from the mail server.

2. Similarly, if I send mail to these users, who
belong to my domain, but actually sit outside the LAN,
mail has to be sent to them thro the internet.

3. Are there any plugins available for virus
protection?

Thanks in advance.

RE: Configure to handle external mails within LAN

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
>  Poll and download mails of
>  selective users to a server

See the FetchPOP service.  It will eventually be replaced by a new FetchMail
service that uses JavaMail.  The rest should be fairly automatic, depending
upon how you setup your domains and MX records.  That is more of a general
mail issue that a James issue.

No plug-ins for virus detection at this time, although several users are
working on them.

	--- Noel