Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "gloCalHelp.com" <ww...@sina.com> on 2017/05/30 10:30:13 UTC

Is DataStax's DSE better than cassandra's free open source for a newbie developer's good start for cassandra?

Dear sir,

Good evening, this is Georgelin from the biggest market of ShangHai, China,

I have known how to download an odd-number(bug fixed) version cassandra source but not a rpm package.

would you like to give me a step by step guiding from  compiling, distributing compiled classes to several computers to setup cassandra cluster?   Cause I am starting to focus on cassandra big data but not other big  data such as Greenplum, CGE, HDP etc.

And I am a quick learner and deserving teaching student( I have ever worked in IBM too) in big market of China, is there a senior Cassandra's system designer who  would like to be my Cassandra's teacher?

And this is a starting point question,  is it better for a newbie to download a third party cassandra source such as DSE to dig in  or download original Cassandra source? Because DSE has spark, solr, graph DB more functions than original cassandra,
but is there anyone know DSE's license?

This is my personal mobile phone:

0086 180 5004 2436, except cassandra, any big data problems on MPP Greenplum and CGE are welcomed to ask me, we can exchange big data systems' knowledge too.

Sincerely yours,
Georgelin
www_8ems_com@sina.com
mobile:0086 180 5004 2436

Re: Is DataStax's DSE better than cassandra's free open source for a newbie developer's good start for cassandra?

Posted by Hannu Kröger <hk...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

DSE is commercial and costs money to use in production. More info from DataStax:

RPMs are currently not available for the latest version. There is 3.0.13 but newer than that are not available from Apache AFAIK:
http://cassandra.apache.org/download/ <http://cassandra.apache.org/download/>

Build instructions are here:
https://github.com/apache/cassandra/tree/trunk/redhat <https://github.com/apache/cassandra/tree/trunk/redhat>

I hope those are helpful!