Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Thomas B Winans <to...@concentrum.com> on 2004/06/26 00:18:53 UTC

Problem with cocoon 2.1.5, tomcat 5.0.9 on Mac OS X 10.3 with Java 1.4.2_03

Greetings --

If anyone there can assist me as a cocoon newbie, I would appreciate it
very much.

I have downloaded cocoon 2.1.5 and tomcat 5.0.9, ensured I extracted
cocoon 2.1.5 using gnutar (so I believe file names have not been
mangled in some way), built the cocoon war, placed it in tomcat's
webapps folder ... all seems to go well until using a browser
(http://localhost:8080/cocoon) and I get the following message:

Internal Server Error

Message: Failed to execute pipeline.

pipeline.: java.lang.RuntimeException:
org.apache.xml.utils.WrappedRuntimeException: The output format must
have a '{http://xml.apache.org/xalan}content-handler' property!

Sender: org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet

Source: Cocoon Servlet

Request URI

cause
java.lang.RuntimeException:
org.apache.xml.utils.WrappedRuntimeException: The output format must
have a '{http://xml.apache.org/xalan}content-handler' property!

request-uri
/cocoon/

full exception chain stacktrace
Original Exception: java.lang.RuntimeException:
org.apache.xml.utils.WrappedRuntimeException: The output format must
have a '{http://xml.apache.org/xalan}content-handler' property!
         at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.run(TransformerImpl.java:
3407)
         at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerHandlerImpl.endDocument(Transfor
merHandlerImpl.java:433)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.xml.AbstractXMLPipe.endDocument(AbstractXMLPipe.java:
56)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.transformation.TraxTransformer.endDocument(TraxTransfo
rmer.java:549)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.notification.Notifier.notify(Notifier.java:
175)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.NotifyingGenerator.generate(NotifyingGenerator
.java:64)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.AbstractProcessingPipeline.process
XMLPipeline(AbstractProcessingPipeline.java:545)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.impl.AbstractCachingProcessingPipe
line.processXMLPipeline(AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline.java:173)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.AbstractProcessingPipeline.process
(AbstractProcessingPipeline.java:490)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.SerializeNode.invoke(
SerializeNode.java:120)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.
invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:72)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.SwitchSelectNode.invo
ke(SwitchSelectNode.java:103)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.
invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:72)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.HandleErrorsNode.invo
ke(HandleErrorsNode.java:60)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.ErrorHandlerHelper.in
vokeErrorHandler(ErrorHandlerHelper.java:85)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PipelineNode.invoke(P
ipelineNode.java:149)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.
invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:72)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PipelinesNode.invoke(
PipelinesNode.java:101)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.TreeProcessor.process(TreePro
cessor.java:336)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.TreeProcessor.process(TreePro
cessor.java:277)

I am not sure where to go from here. Has anyone seen this?

Thanks,
Tom

Re: Problem with cocoon 2.1.5, tomcat 5.0.9 on Mac OS X 10.3 with Java 1.4.2_03

Posted by Thomas B Winans <to...@concentrum.com>.
Greetings, again --

I found a very helpful message in the users archive that I did not know
how to search before but now do ...

The message pointed out that the batik and fop libraries may have been
causing problems. I removed them and followed the instructions to
remove xml branches referencing svg, pdf, and fop. On Mac OS X this did
the trick ... I observed also that documentation on the cocoon home
page was not visible.

I had no trouble at all with these libraries on a Win2K box.

Tom Winans

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 26.06.2004 10:47, Ugo Cei wrote:

>> I have downloaded cocoon 2.1.5 and tomcat 5.0.9, ensured I extracted
>> cocoon 2.1.5 using gnutar (so I believe file names have not been
>> mangled in some way), built the cocoon war, placed it in tomcat's
>> webapps folder ... all seems to go well until using a browser
>> (http://localhost:8080/cocoon) and I get the following message:
>>
>> Internal Server Error
>>
>> Message: Failed to execute pipeline.

>> pipeline.: java.lang.RuntimeException:
>> org.apache.xml.utils.WrappedRuntimeException: The output format must
>> have a '{http://xml.apache.org/xalan}content-handler' property!
>
> Copy the files from lib/endorsed to $CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed,
> removing what's already there.

Just to complete it: From my three step installation instructions [1]
you missed the third step: "solving the endorsed libs problem". Ugo told
you the standard way how to solve it. Other ways and more info on this
problem can be found at [2] and [3].

Joerg

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-users&m=108820727716412&w=4
[2] http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=EndorsedLibsProblem
[3] http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=NoMoreDtmIdError

Re: Problem with cocoon 2.1.5, tomcat 5.0.9 on Mac OS X 10.3 with Java 1.4.2_03

Posted by Ugo Cei <ug...@apache.org>.
Il giorno 26/giu/04, alle 00:18, Thomas B Winans ha scritto:

> If anyone there can assist me as a cocoon newbie, I would appreciate
> it very much.

Since you are a newbie, you'd better follow the advice in INSTALL.txt
and use the bundled Jetty container.

> I have downloaded cocoon 2.1.5 and tomcat 5.0.9, ensured I extracted
> cocoon 2.1.5 using gnutar (so I believe file names have not been
> mangled in some way), built the cocoon war, placed it in tomcat's
> webapps folder ... all seems to go well until using a browser
> (http://localhost:8080/cocoon) and I get the following message:
>
> Internal Server Error
>
> Message: Failed to execute pipeline.

> pipeline.: java.lang.RuntimeException:
> org.apache.xml.utils.WrappedRuntimeException: The output format must
> have a '{http://xml.apache.org/xalan}content-handler' property!

Copy the files from lib/endorsed to $CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed,
removing what's already there.

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/