Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Venu Madhav <vy...@miraclesoft.com> on 2007/08/07 11:46:00 UTC

mail app

Hi,
             I am new to designing mailing app. My doubt is will there
be any database server between mail server and client to store mails. I
got this doubt because when I run my app it starts downloading mails
from server each time a request is sent to it as if  thunderbird thus
while configuring for first time. Please reply soon.

Venu madhav.Yelamanchili
Developer,
WCS Team,
Miracle Software Systems,
vyelamanchili@miraclesoft.com
Ph.No:+919963503613

Re: mail app

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Venu Madhav ha scritto:
> Hi,
>             Suppose you open yahoo mail, all the existing mails will be
> displayed and newmails will also be displayed. But in my case instead of
> displaying mails it first downloads all the mails from the server and
> then displays each time i refresh the page. Is this the actual process
> or is there something different. If possible please send me mail server
> architecture.

The default and most common way to download mail from a server to a
client is POP3 protocol. You can read more and find links to diagrams
and documentation on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Office_Protocol

JAMES Server also supports the IMAP protocol, but this is experimental
and not available in released packages yet, so if you are not a java
developer this is not an option.

IMAP protocol supports storage and organization of mails in the server
instead of the client.

Stefano

Re: mail app

Posted by Venu Madhav <vy...@miraclesoft.com>.