Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Carlos Cruz <ca...@nbtbizcapital.com> on 2016/10/16 16:55:20 UTC

RE: [FlexJS] Support in BlazeDS communication

I know I'm very late to the party, but I think for anyone that works on
large Flex applications it's an important topic. A few years ago I did some
tests comparing  REST calls VS BlazeDS to communicate with another Apache
project OFBiz. BlazeDS was significantly much faster. When interfacing an
application to retrieve 100's / 1000's of DB records speed becomes an
important factor.

I'm hoping to start testing FlexJS in the very near future and one of the JS
libraries I was going to try to test is amfjs
(https://github.com/emilkm/amfjs).

Carlos

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/4/16, 11:12 AM, "PKumar" <pr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks Alex, I am new to FlexJS and your comments are really helping me
>improve my FlexJS understanding.
>Regarding <inject_html> tag,  is there any option/command available  so
>that
>compiler automatically include the injected file in to output folder.

The compiler doesn't do that today.  I'm not sure it should.  Shouldn't we
be encouraging the usage of external scripts from off the internet instead
of local copies?

There is a separate discussion going on right now about copying local
"other stuff".  It may be that if you happen to want to use a local copy
there is a way to have that local copy copied to the output folder, but
you'd have to get the remote copy yourself.  I'm not sure about having a
compiler download something and place it locally.

>I am also planning to compile RemoteObject with FlexJS. I checked the
>AMFChannel implementation and found that  AMFChannel containing the flash
>netConnection & netStatus related code. So i will wrap the flash flash
>dependent code inside COMPILE::SWF block and will wrap amfjs
>implementation
>inside COMPILE::JS block. Please suggest on this also.

Sounds great!  It will be interesting to see what other Flash dependencies
you run into.

Good luck,
-Alex

Re: [FlexJS] Support in BlazeDS communication

Posted by PKumar <pr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Alex, I am new to FlexJS and your comments are really helping me
improve my FlexJS understanding.
Regarding <inject_html> tag,  is there any option/command available  so that
compiler automatically include the injected file in to output folder.

I am also planning to compile RemoteObject with FlexJS. I checked the
AMFChannel implementation and found that  AMFChannel containing the flash
netConnection & netStatus related code. So i will wrap the flash flash
dependent code inside COMPILE::SWF block and will wrap amfjs implementation
inside COMPILE::JS block. Please suggest on this also.

-----
Regards,
Prashant

Re: [FlexJS] Support in BlazeDS communication

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/2/16, 10:35 AM, "PKumar" <pr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks Alex, better to use github URl  to save the effort. but one more
>thing
>i want to ask. can i use the "externc"  compiler command to convert amfjs
>to action script?

It depends on what you are trying to do.  All ExternC does is convert
externs-formatted JS files to AS.  IOW, it only knows about API signatures
and can't convert function bodies and lots of other things, so it isn't a
migration from JS to AS tool.

Depending on how you've written your code, you may need to create an
externs-formatted copy of amfjs and run it through ExternC.  That's how
the createjs.swc in flex-typedefs repo is handled.  That allows other
developers to call CreateJS APIs directly.  The externs-formatted file is
needed to convince the Google Closure Compiler to not minify the variable
names in your code that call APIs in the CreateJS library.

In some other cases, the APIs of an existing library are not very
Flex-like and the library needs to be wrapped in another, more
Flex-oriented layer.  The CreateJS.swc in the flex-asjs repo puts an
MXML-friendly layer on top of the createjs.swc from the flex-typedefs repo.

HTH,
-Alex

Re: [FlexJS] Support in BlazeDS communication

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 10/31/16, 10:40 PM, "PKumar" <pr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>problem with <inject_html>is that it is not copying the amf.js inside the
>bin-debug/bin-release folder. i also tried -include-resources compiler
>option but nothing working.

That's correct.  <inject_html> is for "linking" to code.

For the debug builds, there are a pile of JS files to load.  <inject_html>
allows you to add <Script> blocks to the <head> and specify a URL for a
script to load.

Other JS files are cross-compiled from AS and contain the goog.provide and
goog.require so that Google Closure Library loads all of the other JS
files in correct dependency order.

We don't currently have a capability of copying other .JS files from a SWC
into the output folder.  One thing that might work today is to customize
the SWC build.  I haven't looked at amf.js, or your SWC code, but if you
take a copy of wmf.js and add the goog.require and goog.provide and put it
in the SWC under a js/out folder, then the compiler will use it if the app
references it.

HTH,
-Alex

Re: [FlexJS] Support in BlazeDS communication

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 10/31/16, 10:47 AM, "PKumar" <pr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have successfully created a  prototype of AMFJS

That's sound really exciting!

>and now i am trying to
>create a swc file. but i could not include the amf.js in my swc file. So
>is
>there any compiler option to include the amf.js in my swc file so that it
>can be copied  in final output.

Have you made any modifications to amf.js?  It might make more sense just
to use inject_html and have folks get it that way.

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: [FlexJS] Support in BlazeDS communication

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Make sure JS.swc is in the -external-library-path.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 10/29/16, 2:10 AM, "PKumar" <pr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>i check the "<inject_html>" in createJS. but  it is used with Application
>constructor. can i used it with any custom class constructor, as below?

Yes.  Any class should be able to use inject_html

-Alex

Re: [FlexJS] Support in BlazeDS communication

Posted by PKumar <pr...@gmail.com>.
i check the "<inject_html>" in createJS. but  it is used with Application
constructor. can i used it with any custom class constructor, as below?

       COMPILE::JS
	public class AMFJS
	{
        /**
         * <inject_html>
         *
         * </inject_html>
         */
		public function AMFJS()
		{
		}
        }

-----
Regards,
Prashant

Re: [FlexJS] Support in BlazeDS communication

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Well, it depends on your API goals.  If you want to completely replicate
the RemoteObject API, then you might want to copy all the RemoteObject
related classes from the flex-sdk's RPC project, then add COMPILE::JS
conditional compilation code to make calls to amfjs.js where it is needed.

If you just want the simplest AMF API, maybe copy the FlexJS HTTPService,
call it AMFService and have the send() method call amfjs.js inside a
COMPILE::JS conditional and NetConnection inside COMPILE::SWF.

If you want to port amfjs.js to ActionScript, you can do that as well,
then there isn't a separate amfjs.js file to load at compile-time or
runtime.  If you want to use amfjs.js as an external file, you can get it
injected into the HTML by using <inject_html> like we did in the CreateJS
project.

HTH,
-Alex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hi Carlos,

FlexJS outputs JS so you should be able to integrate with any other JS
code you find out there.  The main issue, IMO, is whether that code is
written in an object-oriented manner.  The more it is, the easier it is to
work with from FlexJS.  You can thinly wrap an ActionScript class
definition around the methods and "it should just work".  However, it is
tempting for existing libraries to not be so object-oriented because of
speed and size and the lack of structure of JS.  JS is like clay.  AS is
like a construction kit.  If something doesn't quite fit in JS, you can
force it.  In AS, the structure definitely tells you that it isn't
supposed to go together that way.  So, you should be able to try
Atmosphere if you want and try to wrap it in AS.

However, the CORS issue ran into should apply in all cases, whether you
use Atmosphere, AMFJS with hand-coded JS or AMFJS in FlexJS. I think as
long as you are going cross-domain you have to "do the right thing" to
give permission.  I'm not an expert on CORS at all, but I think you have
to have a server that serves CORS headers, sort of like crossdomain.xml.
It may not work from file://.  You may get different results from http://
than file://

If you can set up a test case where the domain is the same as the domain
that serves the HTML/JS/CSS you shouldn't have a CORS issue and then we'd
know whether it works for same-domain configurations.

HTH,
-Alex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 10/17/16, 3:07 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> I'm hoping to start testing FlexJS in the very near future and one of
>>the JS
>> libraries I was going to try to test is amfjs
>> (https://github.com/emilkm/amfjs).
>
>Licensing wise it's Apache licensed and bundles some MIT code (Promises
>license) [1] and one item [2] under the "do the fuck what you want”
>license. [3]
>
>It is however missing a NOTICE file so would be nice if the 3rd party be
>contacted to correct that.
>
>Both are compatible with Apache, so we can use this with some
>modification to our LICENSE/NOTICE files.

Thanks for looking Justin.  I guess that folks who want to try out amfjs
can try to use it wholesale or look into porting it to work against the
FlexJS binary data classes.

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: [FlexJS] Support in BlazeDS communication

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I'm hoping to start testing FlexJS in the very near future and one of the JS
> libraries I was going to try to test is amfjs
> (https://github.com/emilkm/amfjs).

Licensing wise it's Apache licensed and bundles some MIT code (Promises license) [1] and one item [2] under the "do the fuck what you want” license. [3]

It is however missing a NOTICE file so would be nice if the 3rd party be contacted to correct that.

Both are compatible with Apache, so we can use this with some modification to our LICENSE/NOTICE files.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://github.com/Zolmeister/promiz
2. https://gist.github.com/jed/982883#file-license-txt
3. http://www.wtfpl.net

Re: [FlexJS] Support in BlazeDS communication

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 10/17/16, 12:13 PM, "PKumar" <pr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Alex,
>
>If you will provide initial guidelines then i can move forward on AMFJS.

I haven't looked at it in detail.  It depends on whether you want to start
from some of the existing implementations or work from the spec on your
own.  There are licensing issues to resolve if you work with existing
implementations.

Either way, I think I would look at the FlexJS classes for handling binary
data and reflection and see if you can piece together a solution.  Feel
free to ask question on the dev@flex.apache.org mailing list.

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: [FlexJS] Support in BlazeDS communication

Posted by Carlos Cruz <ca...@nbtbizcapital.com>.
I will certainly share my findings here, another feature I liked of Flex/BlazeDS is the ability to have real-time communications with a backend server.

My .5¢ (half a cent) input is I'm in the camp that thinks as far as big web applications is concerned JavaScript is a big step backwards. I really wish I was a better coder to be able to contribute more, but I would really like to see FlexJS be the leading platform for big web applications.

Carlos

>I know I'm very late to the party, but I think for anyone that works on
>large Flex applications it's an important topic. A few years ago I did
>some tests comparing  REST calls VS BlazeDS to communicate with another
>Apache project OFBiz. BlazeDS was significantly much faster. When
>interfacing an application to retrieve 100's / 1000's of DB records
>speed becomes an important factor.
>
>I'm hoping to start testing FlexJS in the very near future and one of
>the JS libraries I was going to try to test is amfjs
>(https://github.com/emilkm/amfjs).

I'm definitely interested in what you find out.  My main concern is AMF performance in the browser.  I think we can write enough code to make it work, but if the speed you saw in your past test was because AMF was handled by the runtime, you may not see the same results when we handle AMF in JS.  But we definitely need a volunteer to write the code to truly understand how fast/slow it will be compared to JSON, especially JSON with compression over the network.

My 2 cents,
-Alex

Re: [FlexJS] Support in BlazeDS communication

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.