Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by David <ga...@yahoo.com> on 2004/12/21 02:53:27 UTC

Need A Better Understanding of XSP Role

I've built a Cocoon site that I'm happy with and now I need to build a
completely new and different site, and I'm reading about XSP to see if it
could make this new site better.  For example, in my first site, I used the
Cocoon protocol (cocoon:/ and cocoon://) in conjunction with cinclude to
insert dynamic elements, e.g. lists of document titles, etc.  This technique
worked, but only because I the programmer was the only person maintaining
the site, and I understood these things.

Conversely in my new site I want a more "JSP" kind of architecture in that
non-programmers will need to do some page creation and I want to give them
some 'tags' they can use to insert dynamic code into their pages, and I'm
wondering if XSP could give me the ability to create this sort of 'taglib',
like in JSP of course.

So, then, if my content is in xml files on disk, and I have xsl
transformation, where do xsp tags fit in?  I realize that they go in xsp
files, but if that's the case, do the xsp files 'start' the pipeline instead
of the xml files as I'm accustomed to doing?  At what point do the xml files
enter the pipeline?  I can't see how XSP tags are used by
non-programmers...or perhaps I should say I can't understand how to
incorporate what to me looks like a 'third tier' on top of what appears to
be a perfectly adequate two-tier content-presentation architecture.  Any
insights into my question are greatly appreciated.