Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Vishal Batra <vi...@rediffmail.com> on 2001/05/29 13:59:50 UTC

Tomcat Web Server 3.1 bug

hello ,

i am working on a web based application using JSP on Tomcat Web Server.
Other tools used are JavaMail 1.1.
I am getting a runtime exception which i have tried to solve but am
unable to do so. So i have come to u for help.

I have traced out the location where i get this error.

I have a jsp mailTest.jsp which calls method mailUserAboutLoginCreation(
) of TeamshareMailBean.class
This method accepts 5 String parameters. This method calls method
sendMessage() of MailGenericBean.class.
It is here that I get a problem. The following code causes the problem (
of sendMessage() ).

           try
           {
               message = new MimeMessage( session ) ; // message is
object of javax.mail.Message class

          // session is an object of javax.mail.Session class
           }
           catch( Exception e )
           {
               outputWriter.write( "CATCH : Exception while creating
Message object : " + e ) ;
           }
           finally
           {
               outputWriter.write( "FINALLY : Exception while creating
Message object : " + message ) ;
           }

When the above code executes the 'message' object is not instantiated.
The 'catch' block is not executed while the 'finally' block is
executing. The code which follows the 'finally' block is not executed.

After this the HTML part of mailTest.jsp which lies above the
TeamshareMailBean.mailUserAboutLoginCreation( ) appear on my browser
followed by the exception. Here is the output ( in italics) :

User Name  Vishal Batra
User Email Address  batra_vishal@yahoo.com
Company Login ID  SUVI
User Login ID  vishal
User Password  vishal
M A I L T E S T M A I L T E S T
Error: 500
Location: /teambean/jsp/mailTest.jsp
Internal Servlet Error:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Response has already been committed
   at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Native Method)
   at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Compiled Code)
   at java.lang.Throwable.(Compiled Code)
   at java.lang.Exception.(Compiled Code)
   at java.lang.RuntimeException.(RuntimeException.java:47)
   at java.lang.IllegalStateException.(IllegalStateException.java:45)
   at
org.apache.tomcat.core.HttpServletResponseFacade.sendError(HttpServletResponseFacade.java:157)
   at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.unknownException(JspServlet.java:299)
   at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(Compiled Code)
   at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(Compiled Code)
   at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(Compiled Code)
   at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(Compiled Code)
   at
org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp12ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Compiled
Code)
   at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(Compiled Code)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Compiled Code)

Unfortunately, the above code is giving problem only with Tomcat Web
Server, version 3.1 and not with version 3.2.1.

In my lab we use Tomcat Web Server 3.2.1 but our Application Service
Provider uses Tomcat Web Server 3.1

It is working very fine in my lab but not in the uploaded version.

Kindly suggest a solution

Vishal Batra.