Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Robert Douglass <r....@onlinehome.de> on 2002/03/22 12:53:15 UTC

java.lan.OutOfMemoryError

Hi all,
When I run my webapp from localhost, everything seems to be fine. When I put
a link to in on my website and try running accessing it from there, I get:
2002-03-22 12:47:12 - Ctx( /RobertDouglass ): Exception in: R(
/RobertDouglass +
 /img/Beetle8.jpg + null) - java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
and Tomcat eventually crashes, but not before my data is corrupted.

I also get the following error:
2002-03-20 22:27:01 - Ctx( /RobertDouglass ): IOException in: R(
/RobertDouglass
+ /img/Beetle6.jpg + null) Software caused connection abort: socket write
error

where do I start looking to fix this?

Thanks,
Robert Douglass

RE: java.lan.OutOfMemoryError

Posted by Robert Douglass <r....@onlinehome.de>.
Sorry, I have to revise my earlier statement... I produced the same behavior
from localhost. That doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.
Eventually, the error buffer fills up so completely that it keeps scrolling
through them for a couple of seconds after I close Tomcat:

2002-03-22 13:05:09 - Ctx( /RobertDouglass ): IllegalStateException in: R(
/Robe
rtDouglass + /img/Beetle4.jpg + null) Current state = FLUSHED, new state =
CODIN

2002-03-22 12:59:29 - Ctx( /RobertDouglass ): IllegalStateException in: R(
/Robe
rtDouglass + /img/Beetle5.jpg + null) Current state = FLUSHED, new state =
CODIN

but once again, only when I try to access it from the link on my webpage,
not when I run localhost:8080

Posted by David Hamilton <da...@financity.co.uk>.
Kind of like this? ;-)

[DEBUG,EmbeddedTomcatServiceSX] 2002-03-22 21:15:25 - Ctx( /financity ):
IllegalStateException in: R( /financity + /fintools/networth.jsp + null)
Current state = FLUSHED, new state = CODING
[DEBUG,EmbeddedTomcatServiceSX] 2002-03-22 21:15:25 - Ctx( /financity ):
IllegalStateException in: R( /financity + /fintools/networth.jsp + null)
Current state = FLUSHED, new state = CODING
[DEBUG,EmbeddedTomcatServiceSX] 2002-03-22 21:15:25 - Ctx( /financity ):
IllegalStateException in: R( /financity + /fintools/networth.jsp + null)
Current state = FLUSHED, new state = CODING

+ 3,765 others!!!

I did think about modifying the TC code to bail the error handling process
in the event of the IllegalStateException, but then set a Junior Developer
to try other TC versions.  His report is that this does not happen in 4.01.
We haven't rolled out the change for retesting yet, hence my interest in the
observation that it may occur in 4.03.

Think it's time I went home for the weekend!

    david

Posted by David Hamilton <da...@financity.co.uk>.
No, AFAIK it is because the IOException is handled differently from the
IllegalStateException:

The IllegalStateException causes a recursive error handling trap to occur
that gradually fills up the stack and blows the system.

Because you've got a number of requests happening it hides the fact that
IllegalStateException is happening repeatedly off the handling of one
(closed) request.  IMHO!

    david

Posted by David Hamilton <da...@financity.co.uk>.
Hmmmm.  I recant my heresy!

Tomcat is not to blame here.  I have just reminded myself that IOException
is the only checked exception thrown by OutputStream and
IllegalStateException is unchecked.  Given that the rule-of-thumb is 'use
unchecked exceptions only if the error cannot occur in a bug-free, correctly
running, well configured system', and that a closed socket can happen any
system, the JDK classes should be throwing IOException.

    david

Posted by David Hamilton <da...@financity.co.uk>.
That was my evaluation.  The error handling looked distinctly fragile to me.
To be honest, it looks like Sun have tightened up their state-checking with
the nio package (good) and exposed some weaknesses in the tomcat code (bad).

But then I have strong opinions on error handling (i.e. you should define a

Posted by Brandon Cruz <bc...@norvax.com>.
Using Tomcat 3.2.4, has anyone noticed an error if you attempt to use
<jsp:forward> to forward requests to a page that also uses a <jsp:forward>
tag?  It seems that this never works and results in a 404 error.  Is there
some spec that does not allow this, is it a tomcat bug, or is it just a java
bug?  Is there a better way to accomplish this task other than using
javascript to redirect?

Tomcat 3.2.4
JDK 1.3.1_01
Linux RedHat 7.1

Brandon

Re: RE : java.lan.OutOfMemoryError

Posted by Andy Eastham <an...@gliant.com>.
Jeff,

RE: RE : RE : RE : java.lan.OutOfMemoryError

Posted by Robert Douglass <r....@onlinehome.de>.
I'm running W2K.

Posted by Vincent Lambert <v....@eurelis.com>.

Posted by Robert Douglass <r....@onlinehome.de>.
It is single thread.

Posted by Vincent Lambert <v....@eurelis.com>.

Posted by Robert Douglass <r....@onlinehome.de>.

Posted by Robert Douglass <r....@onlinehome.de>.
Thanks David! I'll probably be back on the list with questions about geting
TC 4.01 set up, but that answers MANY questions. After all, the application
worked fine a half year ago when it was developed. I've fiddled with things
in the meantime, and I thought maybe the configuration or code was broken.
Now I know what to try.

-Robert

Posted by Robert Douglass <r....@onlinehome.de>.
You can see more code in my app here: