Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by we...@tigris.org on 2009/05/20 04:22:02 UTC

steps for synchronizing with production server

What are the best steps for updating a local SVN with changes from production? We've got 20GB of files and on a last attempt, ended up with old repo (.svn) folders and a mess.

Is there a more efficient way to migrate changes to the dev repository? Thanks for any advise.

1.) Copy PROD to LOCALPROD
2.) Remove LOCALPROD svn entries
$ find -name .svn -print | xargs rm -rf {}
3.) Remove LOCALPROD orphans
.... ?
4.) Copy LOCALPROD over LOCALDEV
$ cp -rf * LOCALDEV/*
5.) Update subversion repo
$ su sync_user && svn update && svn commit -m'updating from production'

Re: steps for synchronizing with production server

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, webpost@tigris.org!

> What are the best steps for updating a local SVN with changes from
> production? We've got 20GB of files and on a last attempt, ended up with old
> repo (.svn) folders and a mess.

You mean that you working with two Subversion servers and need to mirror
changes from one to another?
Then, please, read svnbook (http://svnbook.org) first and foremost, then use
proper tools for proper tasks.

> Is there a more efficient way to migrate changes to the dev repository? Thanks for any advise.

> 1.) Copy PROD to LOCALPROD
> 2.) Remove LOCALPROD svn entries
> $ find -name .svn -print | xargs rm -rf {}
> 3.) Remove LOCALPROD orphans
> .... ?
> 4.) Copy LOCALPROD over LOCALDEV
> $ cp -rf * LOCALDEV/*
> 5.) Update subversion repo
> $ su sync_user && svn update && svn commit -m'updating from production'

This all absolutely unnecessary. If not meaningless. Subversion already offers
a way to ease your life and save brain, but you seem to like to waste both of
it...
Especially, read about commands switch, copy, merge of svn utility.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: steps for synchronizing with production server

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On May 19, 2009, at 23:22, webpost@tigris.org wrote:

> What are the best steps for updating a local SVN with changes from
> production? We've got 20GB of files and on a last attempt, ended up
> with old repo (.svn) folders and a mess.
>
> Is there a more efficient way to migrate changes to the dev
> repository? Thanks for any advise.
>
> 1.) Copy PROD to LOCALPROD
> 2.) Remove LOCALPROD svn entries
> $ find -name .svn -print | xargs rm -rf {}
> 3.) Remove LOCALPROD orphans
> .... ?
> 4.) Copy LOCALPROD over LOCALDEV
> $ cp -rf * LOCALDEV/*
> 5.) Update subversion repo
> $ su sync_user && svn update && svn commit -m'updating from
> production'

Your post is confusing due to the use of the wrong term... I'm pretty
sure you're talking about copying and updating *working copies*, not
*repositories*.

Does your production server have access to the repository? If so,
your update process could be as simple as having a working copy on
the production server, on which you run "svn up" when you want to
update it.

If that doesn't work for you, you should describe your setup in more
detail. For example, what do you mean by ending up with "a mess"?
What steps led to it?

Re: steps for synchronizing with production server

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
webpost@tigris.org wrote:
> What are the best steps for updating a local SVN with changes from production? We've got 20GB of files and on a last attempt, ended up with old repo (.svn) folders and a mess.
>
> Is there a more efficient way to migrate changes to the dev repository? Thanks for any advise.
>
> 1.) Copy PROD to LOCALPROD
> 2.) Remove LOCALPROD svn entries
> $ find -name .svn -print | xargs rm -rf {}
> 3.) Remove LOCALPROD orphans
> .... ?
> 4.) Copy LOCALPROD over LOCALDEV
> $ cp -rf * LOCALDEV/*
> 5.) Update subversion repo
> $ su sync_user && svn update && svn commit -m'updating from production'

Subversion isn't designed to have multiple copies of the repository.
Why don't you just copy to a branch in the production repository for
whatever non-trunk development you are doing so you'll be able to merge
subsequent updates?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: steps for synchronizing with production server

Posted by Christian Unger <ch...@me.com>.
On 20.05.2009, at 06:22, webpost@tigris.org wrote:

> What are the best steps for updating a local SVN with changes from
> production? We've got 20GB of files and on a last attempt, ended up
> with old repo (.svn) folders and a mess.
>
> Is there a more efficient way to migrate changes to the dev
> repository? Thanks for any advise.
>
> 1.) Copy PROD to LOCALPROD
> 2.) Remove LOCALPROD svn entries
> $ find -name .svn -print | xargs rm -rf {}
> 3.) Remove LOCALPROD orphans
> .... ?
> 4.) Copy LOCALPROD over LOCALDEV
> $ cp -rf * LOCALDEV/*

not sure what the orphans are, though - but a simple
1.) svn export --force PROD LOCALDEV
> 2.) Update subversion repo
> $ su sync_user && svn update && svn commit -m'updating from
> production'

should yield the same result