Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Patrik Rådman <pr...@abo.fi> on 2004/08/12 15:34:52 UTC

APR/Subversion "make install" bug

Hi,

I have umask set to 077. When I run "make install" for Subversion,
libapr and libaprutil get only "-rwx------" permissions, which causes
this error:

% svn
svn: error while loading shared libraries: libaprutil-0.so.0: cannot open

Please fix the makefile to set correct permissions.

  - Patrik Rådman

Re: APR/Subversion "make install" bug

Posted by Michael Sweet <mi...@easysw.com>.
Bruce Elrick wrote:
> Patrik Rådman wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have umask set to 077. When I run "make install" for Subversion,
>> libapr and libaprutil get only "-rwx------" permissions, which causes
>> this error:
>>
>> % svn
>> svn: error while loading shared libraries: libaprutil-0.so.0: cannot open
>> shared object file: No such file or directory
>>
>> Please fix the makefile to set correct permissions.
>>

> umask is considered a 'local' setting; there are many reasons to set it
> to various values depending on your local circumstances.  It would not
> make sense to set it in the makefile of a software package; someone else
> would have a problem with that overriding their umask settings and
> wondering why this was done.
> If you install software as one user and run it as another, then you
> should take ownership of understanding that you must temporarily set the
> first user's umask to a sensible value (022?) when you do the install step.

FWIW, if an application/library's makefile uses the "install" command,
the default permissions can be specified so that the umask setting
is irrevelant.  This is pretty common practice...

Re: APR/Subversion "make install" bug

Posted by Bruce Elrick <br...@elrick.ca>.
Greg Hudson wrote:

>SergeyKSV@mail.ru wrote:
>

>>>Please fix the makefile to set correct permissions.
>>>

>On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 09:47, Bruce Elrick wrote:
>

>>umask is considered a 'local' setting; there are many reasons to set it
>>to various values depending on your local circumstances.  It would not
>>make sense to set it in the makefile of a software package; someone else
>>would have a problem with that overriding their umask settings and
>>wondering why this was done.
>>

>While this is a perfectly valid viewpoint, it is quite non-standard.
>APR should be using "install" in its install rule, not "cp", for
>consistency with other software packages.

True enough.  I had neglected to think about that.

Re: APR/Subversion "make install" bug

Posted by Bruce Elrick <br...@elrick.ca>.

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.
On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 11:26:13AM -0400, Greg Hudson wrote:
> While this is a perfectly valid viewpoint, it is quite non-standard.
> APR should be using "install" in its install rule, not "cp", for
> consistency with other software packages.

Yeah, using cp to install libraries also has the handy side-effect of
crashing any running processes with those libraries mmaped, if upgrading
an existing installation using "make install" - install avoids that too.

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/apr/Makefile.in?r1=1.107&r2=1.108
...similar fix for apr-util soon.

joe

Re: APR/Subversion "make install" bug

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.

Posted by Michael Sweet <mi...@easysw.com>.

Posted by Bruce Elrick <br...@elrick.ca>.
Patrik Rådman wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have umask set to 077. When I run "make install" for Subversion,
>libapr and libaprutil get only "-rwx------" permissions, which causes
>this error:
>
>% svn
>svn: error while loading shared libraries: libaprutil-0.so.0: cannot open
>shared object file: No such file or directory
>
>Please fix the makefile to set correct permissions.

umask is considered a 'local' setting; there are many reasons to set it
to various values depending on your local circumstances.  It would not
make sense to set it in the makefile of a software package; someone else
would have a problem with that overriding their umask settings and
wondering why this was done.

If you install software as one user and run it as another, then you
should take ownership of understanding that you must temporarily set the
first user's umask to a sensible value (022?) when you do the install step.

Cheers!
Bruce

Re: APR/Subversion "make install" bug

Posted by Bruce Elrick <br...@elrick.ca>.